Followers

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday to me!! I am 57 years old today and proud of each and every year!! I found out that Debra Winger, Olga Korbut and I were all born on the same day and the same year. Other notable people born on May 17th include Henry Fonda, Liberace and Tori Spelling. (Ok maybe Tori is not so notable). I made myself a pretty chocolate cake and posted pictures on Facebook. Several people wanted the recipe so here it is!

Layer Cake from The Cake Doctor....

1 pkg of White Cake mix
1 cup whole milk
8 T butter (melted)
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9" cake pans.
Combine ingredients and beat on low speed one minute. Scrape down the sides and Beat two minutes more.
Divide into pans and bake 27-29 minutes or until done.
Cool in pan ten minutes before removing from pan. Cool 30 minutes or more before frosting the cake.

Chocolate Icing... Memphis Junior League Cookbook
1 stick of Butter(room temperature)
4 squares of unsweetened chocolate melted and cooled
4 cups of Confectioners Sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla

Beat butter til fluffy, add melted chocolate. Mix well. Add Confectioners Sugar gradually adding milk as needed. Beat until creamy. This recipe makes a generous bowl of icing for a two layer cake. ( You might need to add a little more milk than the recipe calls for...I know I did. Just add it by small amounts until the icing is creamy. And I might have used half and half instead of evaporated milk but who's telling???)

This is my go to recipe for a chocolate cake...the Cake Doctor's recipe for the layer cake makes it taste like a cake from scratch. I use this recipe for the layer cake of my Caramel cake as well. And this chocolate icing is so tasty and easy to spread!! Enjoy!

3 comments:

Lady R. said...

I think I gained 3 pounds just reading your cake recipe! Sounds so delicious! Thank you!

Mrs.T said...

Happy Birthday, Arlene!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks friends...I am having a good day!! Grands are coming over this evening!