Followers

Friday, May 11, 2012

I am always looking for new recipes to try and I found a cake that is a KEEPER! We receive a monthly magazine from Alfa Insurance and while I seldom read it all the way through, I quickly turn to the back of the magazine where the "cook" of the month is featured in an article. It is usually a farmer's wife who has been cooking for years and she shares her favorite recipes. Last month there was a recipe for a simple cake that sounded so good I knew I had to try it. Our Sunday School Class enjoys a little snack with coffee each Sunday before we begin our lesson and I thought I would make this cake to take and share with the group. It was so good and so easy...sorry I do not have any pictures of it to post but trust me, it was a pretty cake as well as a tasty cake.

Chris's Easy Cake
1 box Butter cake mix
1 cup vegetable oil
1 small box instant chocolate pudding( I used Jello Chocolate Fudge)
1 T vanilla
4 eggs
1/4 c. water
1 8 oz sour cream
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a bundt pan( I use Bakers Joy Spray as it is much easier!) Mix cake mix, oil, pudding, vanilla, eggs and water with electric mixer until smooth and well  blended.STIR in sour cream and chocolate chips by hand. Pour into prepared pan and bake for one hour or until done. Cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from pan. Dust with powdered sugar before serving if desired.

I skipped the powdered sugar and it was fine just by itself.  It is a really moist cake and if you like chocolate I think you will enjoy it. I always follow the recipe to a T the first time I try a new dish but I like to experiment with some of them on the second time around. I am going to try this with vanilla pudding and white chocolate chips for our Mothers Day lunch here at my house tomorrow. I plan to serve it with Whipped Cream and Strawberries. I will let you know if it is a thumbs up or thumbs down!!

3 comments:

Mrs.T said...

Sounds like a great recipe, Arlene, and the variation you are planning to try with the white chocolate chips sounds fantastic! Will be looking forward to hearing how it comes out. I stopped eating wheat in January (huge challenge for someone who loves to bake as much as I do) and it has made such a difference in how I feel. But recipes that call for a cake mix work pretty well with the gluten free cake mixes, so I will try this one. Thanks for sharing!

Lady R. said...

Thank you for this recipe,. It sounds so delicious, Arlene. I wonder if you couldn't use a 9 x 13 baking pan??

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes Lady R, I think it would work in a 9 by 13 pan as well. The cake rises up over the top of the bundt pan so it is a generous amount of batter. Just now going to take my vanilla version from the pan...it smells yummy. I think it will be good with strawberries and whipped cream.