Followers

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I just started this book, The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James. I have been in the mood for "Jane Austen" writing. There is just something so comforting about writing that revolves around the home and the people in one's own intimate circle. After reading Defending Jacob, which was very intense, I needed a book like this one!  One thing I have already discovered about the Bronte family is that they were Irish and their name was Brunty but a school master gave Charlotte's father the more aristocratic spelling. It rather reminded me of Keeping Up Appearances, one of my favorite Britcoms. If you have ever watched this program you know that the main character is Hyacinth Bucket(Its Boo Kay! as she likes to remind everyone!) Names are very important in life and I must admit that Charlotte Bronte sounds and looks much better than Charlotte Brunty. The Brontes are a very close family and I am looking forward to finding out more about them.

I also have a few Hamish Macbeth paperbacks on my bedside table. I ordered some of the early Hamish mysteries from Paperbackswap.com.  I love love love this Highland policeman. He is a lot like Andy Griffith of Mayberry. Both see their jobs as caring for the people in their community as well as enforcing the law. One of the things I love about reading is that no matter what is going on in your life, a book can take you far away from the cares of the day. For that reason alone, I have always felt sorry for people who say they do not like to read! I just cannot fathom it.

I have one more day of vacation today as my DH has the day off. When he is home, I cannot bring myself to do more than necessary chores.  I do have some letters and packages to mail and I must tackle some ironing. Tomorrow I will get back in my routine as my little grands will come to spend the morning. We are hoping we can go to the park! One of our last Nana Schools with Margaret! We are going to miss having her with us each week. I have a feeling Nana and Grandpa will be making lots of trips to Birmingham.

1 comment:

Mrs R. said...

Arlene, this is a wonderful time of year to catch up on reading. I have not heard of those books. I will add them to my To Read list! :)