Followers

Monday, May 14, 2012

I subscribe to Hoffman Distributors(Needlework Business) and every Friday they send out pictures of the latest cross stitch patterns for all of us cross stitch nuts. When I saw this sampler on Friday, I knew that I had to have it!! I started stitching when I was a little girl. My mother taught me to embroider then one of my Nursing school Friends taught me to do crewel work, which was all the rage in the 70s. When I was a newlywed, my friend, Rebekah, introduced me to Counted Cross Stitch and I never looked for another hobby. To this day, I love to sit down and cross stitch. The patterns now are much more elaborate than they were in the late 70s and early 80s. I have done some of the elaborate designs but my favorite patterns are samplers. I find that when I sit down and stitch, the world and its problems fade away. I begin to relax as I stitch with pretty DMC floss. Now days I work on linen and I have to use a magnifier to see those small stitches but I continue to stitch away. I have found that when I am facing problems in my own life, stitching helps me to calm down and think clearly. My sweet mother in law, Mama G, was a gifted crocheter and she told me that she had crocheted many of her cares and worries into the various pieces she produced. I can identify. As I look at some of my framed pieces of cross stitch, I can remember exactly what was going on as I stitched!! Right now I feel like the sea billows of life are rolling and I know that I need to remember whatever my lot, it is well with my soul! So when I finish the piece I am working on now, I see this sweet sampler in my future!

2 comments:

Mrs.T said...

Oh, what a beautiful sampler!! It makes me want to order one right away just so I can stitch it. I love that hymn. We were just talking last night in our testimony time at church about the many meaningful hymns that picture the trials of life as storms (and ourselves as being in little boats) and how Jesus will bring us safely through the storms of life as we trust Him to do so. Praise the Lord that even though the storms batter us, it is well with our souls! I am sure you are familiar with the story of how "It is Well with My Soul" came to be written. Talk about a storm!

This makes me want to chart some of my own favorite hymns into cross stitch or embroidery designs. Thanks so much for sharing!

Arlene Grimm said...

Ok...I went to my settings and got it straightened out!! I love how Google answers so many of my Blog questions!! And I cannot wait to see your hymn samplers Mrs T!!