Followers

Friday, June 29, 2012

 Thursdays are my day to get out and about so after lunch with my friends, I had to stop in at TJ Maxx and Books a Million. Fortunately two of my favorite stores are right next door to each other. And really I should not have gone to BAM since I have a stack of books on my beside table....oh well. I will never be without something to read. Both Marvin and I LOVE books and in spite of owning Kindles, we had to have more bookcases built upstairs to store our stash!  If you like cozy mysteries...Ann Purser is writing a great new series about an elderly detective service, Enquire Within. I have read the first two books in the series and just found The Wild Wook Enquiry yesterday. The mystery, Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay, sounded like a good one and when I took it off the shelf to look at it, the cover pulled me in right away. It is about a librarian....knew I had to give it a chance.  I will review them both once I get them read!  I am still reading The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigani. It was recommended by my friend, Deborah. Ms Trigani has the gift of storytelling. As I read her book, it is like a movie is playing in my mind.( Another one of the things I like about reading a good book.) The book begins in the Italian Alps....of course I have never been there but traveling by armchair is quite a nice mode of transportation and no hassles.:) Ms Trigani also wrote for the Bill Cosby show, one of my favorite 80s sitcoms. Look for her novels at your public library!
When I got home I had a mailbox full of JUNK except for one pretty envelope which contained a handmade  card wishing me a Happy Fourth!  I LOVE receiving cards and a handmade card is even more special! Thanks to my sweet blog friend who took the time to make it, write me a note and put it in the mail. She has encouraged me to be more intentional in sending snail mail to my friends. You can see how cute the card looks perched next to my AMERICA plaque on my kitchen hutch.  And yes, I like to decorate for all holidays!! I do not own as many Summer decorations as Fall, Winter and Spring decorations so maybe I can pick up some more at Hobby Lobby. Right now they have all their Fourth of July things on sale. I imagine that Hobby Lobby will have all their Fall Decor on the shelves soon. And I must admit I love all the fall colors and the reminder that these hot temps will be ending in the fall.

If you live in the South you know it is HOT...107 is predicted for today. Please be sure and take care to check on your elderly friends during this time. I can never remember it being this hot even in July or August. Stay Cool!!

3 comments:

Mrs R. said...

Arlene, I'm so glad you like your card! :)

Your patriotic shelf is beautiful!

107 is way too hot for me. I think it is only supposed to be in the high 90's here.

Marie said...

How fortunate you are to have a BOM near you. They took away all of ours. I now have go on line to order books or drive a long distance. I always enjoyed going locally. I am going to check out the books you are reading.
Love,
Marie

Arlene Grimm said...

Oh Marie...how sad for you!! Part of my enjoyment of books is looking at all of them and choosing one or two. I just love the smell of books, the way they feel in my hand and the story that lies within each book. I will try to review these when I am finished with them. Mysteries are my favorite genre!