Followers

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I was so glad to be able to share a pan of lasagna with my friend, Diane, who had surgery last week. While I was cooking, I made two pans, one for the Wileys and one for us. My pan of lasagna will be our supper this evening. The Wileys posted on Facebook that they enjoyed it and wanted the recipe. Another Georgia Friend chimed in asking me to post my recipe so I told them I would post it on my blog.  

This is a really easy lasagna recipe and I must admit I "stole" it from my sis in law, Barbara. When I asked her for the recipe, she told me it was on the Muellers Lasagna Noodles box!! So much for secret recipes but when something works, it works!! There are several good points about this lasagna recipe...one, it does not require much meat. If you are entertaining on a limited budget this is a great dish to serve. Second...no boiling lasagna noodles and dealing with all the mess and torn noodles. The noodles go in uncooked and bake in the sauce! Three, even the pickiest of eaters likes pasta. So this makes it great to take to a family with young children.

So here it is!  

Best Lasagna
1/2 # ground beef
1 large onion...chopped
2 cloves garlic...minced
2 13 0z cans of tomato sauce( I use the 15 oz and add only 1/2 cup water)
1 c water or tomato juice
1 tsp basil
15 oz tub of ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt( I leave this out as ricotta is pretty salty)
1/4 tsp pepper
9 to 10 UNCOOKED lasagna noodles
2 c Mozzarella cheese...grated
1 c  Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook meat until lightly browned...add onion and garlic. Continue cooking for three minutes( I brown it in a large dutch oven) Add tomato sauce, water/juice and basil. Bring to a boil then turn on low and simmer for five minutes.
Combine ricotta, egg , salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside. 
In a 13 by 9 dish...layer 1 1/2 cups of sauce, half of the lasagna noodles and all the ricotta. Sprinkle one cup of Mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese on top of ricotta. Add 2 cups of sauce to the top of the cheese layer. Add another layer of noodles. Top with remaining sauce, 1 cup Mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. 
Cover tightly with foil...Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving. 

You can also make this ahead...earlier in the day or the day before and store in fridge. Just let it come to room temperature before baking. Enjoy!

No comments: