Followers

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

 I really enjoyed hearing Mary Kay Andrews speak at the Library Benefit Luncheon yesterday. She is a lady who I think I would like to live next door to so we could sit and sip Sweet Tea and talk about books and our grandchildren. First, I must say that Ms Andrews is a beautiful lady. She shared with us that she recently lost 55 pounds. She visited a nutritionist and began implementing some healthier eating habits. My hat is off to her, as we get older it sure is hard to shed any pounds!!
My friend, Donna, took the picture of Mary Kay speaking to our group and the  picture on the bottom  is an older publicity photo. You can see that she is a pretty lady. My first introduction to Mary Kay Andrews writing was in the form of her mysteries, written under her real name, Kathy Hogan Trochek. She wrote a series of mysteries featuring Callahan Garrity and her band of cleaning women who also solved mysteries. They were just right...funny without being too cutesy! And they were set in Atlanta so I recognized lots of the places in the novels. Then I heard that this favorite author of mine was writing chic lit and  she had changed her name. She explained that change to us yesterday...she was moving in a different direction with her writing and her publisher felt a new name was in order. She took her pen name from the names of her own children, Mary Kay for daughter Mary Kathleen and Andrews from her son, Andrew. Mary Kay also shared how she comes up with some of her ideas for novels...her newest effort came to her in a dream. She had a dream that she was sitting behind a pretty young woman at church. When she asked the woman what she was doing at church, she answered that she was there to see her ex husband get married. I will not give away any more of the book, Spring Fever but I can assure  you it is an interesting book on several levels. I just started my SIGNED copy last night and it is good! My other favorite MK Andrews book is The Fixer Upper...all her novels are great books to read while on vacation. They are light, fun reads.

Our group also learned that MK likes "junkin" and she has a booth at the Seaside Sisters on Tybee Island, Ga. One of MK's goals with her writing was to earn enough money to buy a beach house. She owns the Breeze Inn on Tybee so if you would like to take a gander at her retro beach house, google it! We will be in Tybee in about three weeks so I have a visit to Seaside Sisters on my list of things to do while we are there!

And if you like mysteries, the Callahan Garrity series will be re released in the fall. I am looking forward to reading these books again as it has been some time since I first read them.

All in all a day I will fondly remember and the money raised went to help our library. I am a big fan of the public libraries. They really provide a wonderful service to the community. Books have been a big part of my life. I cannot imagine laying down in my bed at night to go to sleep without reading a few pages of a book that is on my bedside table. We all need to support our Libraries!


1 comment:

Mrs R. said...

Arlene, I've never read her books. I will add them to my list! I <3 libraries too!