Followers

Friday, July 27, 2012

Here is the Before and the After! Our topiary is really prettier in person as is the case with most photographs of crafts. You can see more of the sparkles in person. Kendall and I stuck straight pins through the green, bronze and orange balls and then pushed them into the styrofoam ball. If I were doing it over, I would have coated the ball with Aleene's tacky glue before applying the balls. The pins held the smaller green and bronze balls well but the bigger orange balls are not as well adhered with just pins. I also went with a green styrofoam ball so that the open spaces that might be visible would not be distracting as it would be with a white ball!   You can also do this project using a smaller styrofoam ball, just make sure your dowel rod and clay pot is smaller as well so the scale is correct. Kendall is six years old now and I felt comfortable allowing her to work with pins with Nana sitting nearby. She did stick her fingers a time or two but she was a trooper and just kept going! You can find all the supplies for this project at Hobby Lobby. The package of autumnal balls was $4.99, both spools of ribbon were $8( and some left over for another fall project), moss was $3(and I have plenty left over for another project), dowel rod was 59 cents, clay pot was $1.34 and finally the styrofoam ball was $3. So for about $20 dollars I have a pretty fall decoration that I can use for years to come. Now I will have to think of some projects to do with my leftover supplies. I do have in mind making some smaller topiaries using unpopped popcorn and green lentils. I have done some of these in the past and they are cute too. Really you can cover the top of your topiary with anything that strikes your fancy! Hope you enjoyed seeing our finished product!

2 comments:

Mrs R. said...

So pretty, Arlene!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks sweet friend!