Followers

Monday, July 2, 2012

The Hot Weather continues...I will not say we are getting used to it but we are learning to live with it. It was also very hot 32 years ago today. How do I remember that? Well I was pregnant and my legs were so swollen I could hardly walk before greeting our daughter, Amelia, at 4:12 in the morning. Happy Birthday Girlie!!

We took a trip to north Georgia to visit my parents over the weekend. It is HOT there as well, but they did get some rain last night so their garden may not dry up like the ones here in Alabama.  While traveling in the car over and back, I had time to finish two books. I know some people cannot read and ride without becoming car sick. I am so glad I can read while riding as it sure speeds up the trip.

I finished, The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigani.  It was a very good story! The book opens as young Ciro, and his brother, Eduardo, are left at a convent in the Italian Alps because their mother cannot care for them. In a village up the mountain, lives a young girl named, Enza. She is the oldest of five children and a great help and comfort to her poor family. At the age of 15, Enza confronts a tragedy in her family and Ciro comes into her life. They have an instant bond but many years pass before they meet again in America. You will be enchanted by this love story.  Ms Trigani is a master story teller and according to the notes at the back of the novel, this book was written to honor the love story of her grandparents who met in Hoboken, NJ after immigrating from Italy.  My only complaint about the book is that the ending seemed rather rushed. Maybe I just hated for it to end.:)

 I also finished Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay. It is the first in a series of mysteries to be written by Ms McKinlay. Light mysteries are my favorite sleeping pills. I ususally have one on my bedside table to peruse before going to sleep. I pride myself on solving the mystery before the killer is revealed but I admit that this one stumped me. Books Can Be Deceiving takes place in a coastal Connecticut town filled with unique residents. The  main sleuth is Lindsay, the head librarian at Briar Creek Public Library where she has instituted a Crafternoon Book Club. Crafts and books...what could be better? In this mystery, Lindsay and her best friend, Beth, the childrens' librarian, are compelled to investigate when a local author is found stabbed to death in his home. Beth is the main suspect  in this murder as the author was her boyfriend and she had just broken up with him.   Of course the pretty cover on this book lured me in and I never met a library I did not like so this book was calling my name from the bookshelf at Books a Million. I give Books Can Be Deceiving five stars and  I am on the look out for the second in the series, Due or Die.

No swim lesson this morning as Miss Anita is sick so the kiddos and I will have a fun morning at home trying to stay cool!

2 comments:

Mrs.T said...

It's hot here too, but nothing like what you are experiencing there. Oh, I try not to complain but I just do not enjoy the heat. I know there are some people who do.

Both of those books sound very good. I wish I had more time to read fiction, but I don't, unfortunately. I keep a book on my nightstand but it is usually some nonfiction that I think I should read. Even at that, I don't get through them very fast because I tend to fall asleep after a page or two ... sometimes even after a paragraph or two!

Arlene Grimm said...

I totally understand Mrs T...I cannot read my Kindle in bed because invariably I go to sleep reading. :) But I love to read and try to make time for it...though with my littlies here more, my reading time has decreased!