Followers

Monday, July 9, 2012

We had a nice weekend. Ben, Katy, Margaret and Baylor came for a visit on Saturday. Amelia, Kendall and Landon joined us as well. The Cousins were so happy to see each other!! Since we are all going to the beach together soon, I did not even get out my camera to snap some pictures. Landon is so excited about the Beach...every day he wants to know if it is the day we are going to the beach. I hope it lives up to his expectations.

And we did receive some rain along with a vicious thunderstorm yesterday but hey, we will take it. Our lawn and plants were happy to get a good long drink of water.

My reading marathon continues. I finished The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain. It was "ok". It would be a good beach read. College friends, Noelle, Emerson and Tara have remained close in the years after graduating, living in the same town and sharing each others lives. When Noelle commits suicide, Emerson and Tara are shocked to learn that their friend had kept many secrets from them over the last 12 years. One secret involves a baby that was switched at birth. I thought parts of the book were fairly predictable but it kept me reading just to see how the novel resolved itself.  Now I am reading, The Reading Group. It is an older book that I found at the Booksale Room in the Library. Set it England, it follows the lives of a group of ladies who meet once a month to eat dinner and discuss a book. Being an Anglophile, I have enjoyed this book and I am almost at the end! At the rate I am going I may have to make a Booksale Room run before we leave for vacation.

Back to swim lessons with Kendall today! She has been practicing and is eager to show Miss Anita what she has learned!

4 comments:

Mrs.T said...

Arlene, I always enjoy hearing about your latest reads even if I can't find time to read myself (as much as I would like to). Have you ever read Jamie Langston Turner's books? She is a masterful writer and is especially good at writing in the voice of her viewpoint characters. Her books are not really a series but they are all tied together somewhat and set mostly in South Carolina. She is without a doubt my favorite Christian author.

Arlene Grimm said...

I LOVE Jamie Langston Turner. My favorite novel that she wrote is Some Wildflower in My Heart. I have read all of hers and own several that were special favorites. Her last novel ended with me thinking that there would be a sequel...so far she has not written one. She is a wonderful story teller...who can forget Eldeen(needle spelled backwards!)??? Her books are good without being preachy and I like that!

Mrs.T said...

I should have known you would have read her books. I'm glad you love her as much as I do! Some Wildflower in My Heart was the first one of hers that I read and I do like it a lot. I am not sure which one would be my favorite. I own them all and have read them all twice. I seem to find new things each time I read them.

One thing I have often read in writers' guidelines for Christian fiction is that the Christian message must be intrinsic to the plot and not just tacked on. One reason I don't read much fiction is that in nearly every Christian fiction book I have read (except for these) the message is indeed tacked on. Like you, I appreciate in Jamie Langston Turner's books that the message is clear but not one bit preachy. And it is intrinsic to the plot!

I do subscribe to her sporadic email newsletter (last one came out in spring 2011) and in that last one she did say she is writing another book but that progress is very slow because she is still teaching full time. Maybe she'll finish it this summer, who knows?

Arlene Grimm said...

Oh I hope she finishes it soon!! And you are right about Christian Fiction...it is hard to find good writing. Francine Rivers is a favorite as well as Marybeth Whalen, who is one of my blog friends.