Followers

Saturday, August 25, 2012

I love Saturdays because we can sleep in!! As I have gotten older sleeping in eludes me sometimes but lately I have been enjoying the extra rest. I have recently updated my Good Reads app on Facebook. If any of you are on Good Reads please add me as your friend. I enjoy seeing what everyone is reading. I have finished several books this week so I thought I would share them with you.

The Real Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait of Queen Elizabeth the Second by Andrew Marr was an interesting read. I saw it at the library and checked it out. I love all things English and I really enjoyed watching all the Diamond Jubilee celebrations honoring Queen Elizabeth this summer. The book is not a fast read by any means. While it does give a lot of information on the queen, it also relates the inner workings of the monarchy through the ages. So if you are not a history buff this book might not be for you. There are several good biographies of the queen that are available today. One interesting tidbit that  I read concerned the Romanov family. Nicholas the Second was first cousin of Queen Elizabeth's grandfather. Nicholas asked for asylum in England for his family when the political uprising against the royal family of Russia became heated. Queen Elizabeth's grandfather refused(fearing a backlash against the British Royal Family) and as a result the Romanovs  were assassinated. The English Royal family has never commented on this moment in history but Queen Elizabeth has allowed this incident to be noted in her biography by Mr Marr. Apparently The KING was very upset upon hearing of the deaths of Nicholas, Alexandra and their children. He did not think that the dissidents would kill the czar.  The main topic of this book is the God Given duty the Queen takes very seriously and how she has carried out her role in history with honor and dignity.

And now a "fluff" book as we call them at our Tuesday Afternoon Book Club...What Alice Forgot by Laura Moriarty. Imagine that you took a fall and as a result you lost the last ten years of your life. That is what happened to Alice Love.  Alice wakes up from her head injury thinking that she is 29 years old, happily married and expecting her first child. In reality she is 39 years old, divorcing her husband and has no memory of the three children she has given birth to along the way! I found it a nice read...Alice's sister, mother, husband and best friend all figure into the equation of helping Alice regain her memory. This would be a great book to take to the beach!

Right now I am reading Dead is the New Black. It is a mystery that takes place in the world of clothing design in NYC. One of our club members recommended it at our Tuesday Meeting and then I found it was free to download on my Kindle at Pixel of Ink. I have lots of books downloaded on my kindle, I really need to get busy reading some of them!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend, maybe you can sit down with a book for some "me" time today.

2 comments:

Mrs R. said...

I'm afraid that I am an early bird. Sleeping in to me is 7 am. :)

The book about Alice doesn't sound to fluffy to me! Yikes!

Arlene Grimm said...

The book about Alice ended happily so that made me happy. Alice and her husband get back together and live happily ever after. I have started and discarded several books this week, just cannot seem to find something that holds my attention!