Followers

Monday, August 6, 2012

 We spent a quiet weekend but a fun one with dinner guests, reading, the Olympics and seeing all the grands and their parents!  Friday evening we had dinner with our friends, the Cokers. Maria brought me a pretty bronze mercury glass vase. It will be perfect for a fall candle. I will post a picture of it when I do my fall decorating post.  Johnny and Maria have their own booth in a local antiques mall and they were telling me a bit about some of my dishes. I have a set of Fostoria glassware that we inherited from Marvin's parents. We could never determine the pattern so I am on the hunt to find the name of my beautiful glassware. And I also have some pretty iced tea glasses that my mother received as a wedding gift from her Uncle and Auntie. They are Candlewick or Boopie. It is hard to tell the difference so I will be researching it as well.  If any of you are Candlewick or Boopie experts, please help me!!:)
And on Saturday I spent  most of the day reading! That to me is the perfect day! I was excited to find the fall issue of Country Sampler on the racks Friday as I did my grocery shopping. I do not decorate my home in a Country Style but I love seeing the homes in this magazine all decked out for fall. Fall colors make a home feel so HOMEY!! I heart Fall.

I read three books...yes I am a fast reader! I finished up The Ballad of Tom Dooley by Sharyn McCrumb. I have heard the song, Tom Dooley, since I was a little girl so it was interesting to find out some of the facts behind the song. However, the book dragged on too long and was very repetitive. Another reviewer of this book on Good Reads suggested the book should have been a story and not a book. I think I agree. Then I took on Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman. It is a non fiction work about a young woman who leaves the Satmar Hasidic community to live in the outside world. After I finished the book, I decided to research it a bit and it turns out that some people think Ms Feldman should have written a novel as they think she took great liberty with the facts. Either way, it was an interesting read. And yesterday I finished Red Hook Road by Ayelet Waldman. It is the story of a wedding day that quickly turns from a celebration to a tragedy when the newlyweds are killed in a horrific car crash on their way to the reception. Ayelet Waldman is a very descriptive writer and she catches the personalities of each character and their reaction to the event so well. After all these rather heavy books, I am looking forward to a light read...maybe a cozy mystery!

Yesterday we attended church, made a trip out to have lunch at Dot's Soul Food in Hillsboro, AL. If you cannot eat at your mama's house, Dot's is a good choice. It is good old fashioned Southern Cooking and some of the best fried chicken I have every had the pleasure to put in my mouth! After lunch, Amelia dropped by with Kendall and Landon. Grandpa had not seen these two in two weeks so he was happy to be with them. Then Ben and Katy came by with Margaret and Baylor. Katy's mom had spend the weekend with them and they brought her home to Decatur.  Nothing like time with our precious grands.

Then we ended the day checking out some of the Olympic games. I felt sorry for the American ladies gymnast who got silver last night when everyone thought she had the gold for sure. But I think we should know that nothing can be taken for granted and in sports, on any given evening someone can come out of no where to win! That is one of the things that makes the Olympics exciting.

And we are off to swim lessons this morning....hoping Kendall will be able to catch on to it with two more weeks with Miss Anita. I have had her watching the Olympic Swimmers to get motivated!!

1 comment:

Mrs R. said...

Great minds think alike. :) I love autumn!