Followers

Thursday, September 27, 2012


Another Pinterest Meal! This one was my favorite so far!! I made Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup and served it with Bread. I must admit I did not make the bread as I have found that Rhodes Frozen Bread Loaves taste better than anything I can make from scratch. Each bag has three frozen loaves...all you do is take on out, put it in a loaf pan sprayed with Pam and let it thaw then rise. I put my oven at 170 degrees and leave it on for about 10 minutes, then I turn the oven off and put my frozen bread in the oven and leave it all day. By about four p.m. it is ready to bake. Easy Peasy.

Here is the recipe for the soup....

2 14 0z cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 c finely diced celery
1 c. finely diced carrots
1 c. finely diced onion
1 tsp oregano
1 T basil
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup Parmesan Cheese
2 cups half and half(warmed)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Add tomatoes, celery, onion, carrots, chicken broth, and herbs to the crockpot.
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.
About thirty minutes before serving, prepare a roux. Melt butter in pan...add flour and cook for 5 minutes. Slowly stir in one cup of hot soup. Add another three cups of hot soup, stir until smooth then add back to crockpot. Stir in half and half and parmesan cheese. Let cook in crockpot for another thirty minutes before serving. Taste the soup and see if you need to add more basil and oregano as they spices can become bland after cooking all day.

I will tweak this recipe a bit the next time I make it. I might add more basil at the end. Also I might cut back on parmesan and half and half.  It was very tasty but I have to admit that I did puree my soup after it cooked all day. The celery had cooked down to 'string' and it was not too appealing.  I think pureeing the soup also made it look more appetizing.

I will be making this again on a cold winter day!

3 comments:

Jenn at Sweet T Makes Three said...

I would never guess the bread isn't made from scratch!

Arlene Grimm said...

And it really tastes good too Jenn!! I love Rhodes products!

Mrs R said...

A perfect meal for an autumn evening!