Followers

Monday, September 10, 2012

 One of the great pleasures of a week at the beach is uninterrupted reading time.  I read six books last week and enjoyed every one of them! I am on the lookout for The Dashwood Sisters Tell All after reading Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo. I am almost finished with Mr Darcy Broke My Heart....
I did not become a Jane Austen fan until I was older. When I was young, I found her writing too wordy and old fashioned! But I am a convert and I have read every Jane Austen novel and while I have enjoyed them all, Pride and Prejudice remains my favorite. When I came across Ms Pattillo's books in the Book Sale Room at our library I had to purchase them. If you enjoy Jane Austen, you will find these light reads fun. (Of course the beautiful book covers will lure you in as well!!) In Jane Austen Ruined My Life, a young English professor who is in disgrace travels to England to do research on Ms Austen. While in London, she becomes aware of a group called the Formidables, who strive to protect Ms Austen's private life. This select group holds Jane's secret letters and manuscripts.  Along the same lines, Mr Darcy Broke My Heart, features a young woman who goes to Oxford for a two week Jane Austen Seminar. While there, she also comes in contact with the Formidables as well as falling in love with her own Mr Darcy.  I look forward to reading The Dashwood Sisters Tell All. Thanks Ms Pattillo for taking me away from the cares of the world for a bit!!

I also read two books that were "serious" reads. The Reader by Bernard Schlink was a short book but compelling. It is definitely for adult readers as it tells the story of a young  man who is lured into an affair with a woman who is 20 years his senior. Set in Germany in the late 50s, 15 year old Michael meets Hanna and his life will never be the same. During the affair with a woman old enough to be his mother, Michael finds that one way to get to Hanna's soul is through reading. He reads many books to her over the year of their affair. It takes Michael a while to realize that Hanna is illiterate.  One day Hanna vanishes and Michael moves on with his life. He is a law student when he comes in contact with Hanna again. She is on trial for War Crimes. Hanna had been a guard at one of the Nazi concentration camps and she must pay for her cruelty in allowing a large group of women to die in a fire. Michael cannot believe that the same Hanna he loved was capable of this crime. It is a book that will make you think about life and the decisions that some people make that will alter the course of their lives.

Lastly, I read Clover Adams by Natalie Dykstra. I have always enjoyed biographies and this one looked interesting.  It is the story of a young woman who was married to Henry Adams, grandson of John Quincy Adams. Clover's real name was Marian Hooper Adams but her mother gave her the nickname, Clover,(her lucky child) as she was born after Mrs Hooper had been quite ill. Born to wealth an priviledge, enjoying all that the world had to offer, Clover suffered from a melancholia that had plagued the Hooper family. Clover Adams in an interesting look at life among the wealthy Boston Brahmin just after the Civil War.

It will probably be quite a while before I read six books in one week again but it was fun while it lasted!

4 comments:

Mrs R said...

Oh dear! Mr Darcy Broke My Heart!! What happened? :-O

Arlene Grimm said...

Basically some girls are waiting on Mr Darcy to arrive and save them!:) I think Mr Darcy is rather like Edward from Twilight....only found in a woman's imagination.lol!!

~Brenda said...

Arlene, I'm stopping by via Shari's blog. I can see you are quite a reader! After reading your post I went to our library to borrow Jane Austen ruined my life; enjoying this book! I've not read any of Austen's books but have watched the movies on PBS.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks for stopping by Brenda!! I love to meet new friends in the blog world. I do enjoy reading and just stocked up at the library this morning. Everyone I know is talking about Gone Girl so I will be reading it and reviewing it on my blog!!