Followers

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Christmas 1962...I was seven years old and I am sure I pored over this edition of the Sears Wish Book, hoping Santa Claus would deliver my "wishes" under our Christmas Tree. This morning I am doing the 2012 version but instead of flipping through the pages of a catalog, I am clicking on items on Amazon. I am hoping to get in my first Christmas Order today.  I have found that I really like to shop online, avoiding the crowds and best of all, my packages arrive right at my door via UPS.  I have also found that Amazon often has a better price than my local stores. Of course, being a good citizen, I want to support my community so I will be buying many of my gifts here in Decatur as well. We are fortunate to have several unique shops on historic Bank Street. I can find some very special gifts there  and another perk of small town shopping is free gift wrapping.   I like to have most of my shopping done before  the holiday season so I can just enjoy all the festivities with no stress. I do have some friends who love the thrill of the hunt in December. They enjoy being out among the crazy shoppers and they often get great buys as Christmas approaches. Indeed we are all different and that is one of the things that makes the world so interesting!!  As for me, in the days leading up to the Big Day, I will be home eating Christmas Cookies, sipping hot coccoa and watching White Christmas.

4 comments:

Mrs.T said...

Love the 1962 Christmas catalog! I am sure I pored over that one too, as my grandmother usually asked us to look the catalog over and select some possibilities for gifts.

I sat down with my Christmas notebook today and made a list of crafted gifts and food gifts I hope to make. I was relieved to see that I had been a bit more realistic with my Christmas planning this year. Most of the crafted gifts quick and easy, and all but 2 involve sewing. Now to get started!

Arlene Grimm said...

I am making some gifts too Mrs. T. I hope to get them all done!!!

Mrs R said...

Oh I remember the Wish Book. Those were the days.... I do quite a bit of shopping on Amazon too. The kids like gift cards which I can pick up at the stores but I definitely will avoid the malls after Thanksgiving. (except walking in the early am - that should be fine.)

Arlene Grimm said...

I agree with you Mrs R!! The mall is just too crazy for me at that time of the year. I am a homebody!