Followers

Monday, October 8, 2012

I spent most of my weekend cross stitching and reading! Two of my favorite things. I am so glad that Decatur has a great cross stitch shop, The Cross Stitch Peddler. I do not go there as often as I would like or I would have a stack of patterns waiting to be stitched. I just cannot resist new cross stitch patterns. My favorite pattern maker is The Prairie Schooler. Prairie Schooler puts out many samplers with an "old timey" feel. When Witches Go Riding is the title of this fall sampler. It says, When Witches go Riding and black cats are seen..The moon laughs and whispers its near Halloween.  I could not resist it and I got all the lettering done on Sunday afternoon so now to finish it up. While I was stitching last night I was watching Call the Midwife on PBS. If you have not seen this new program, check it out!! It is so good.  After Call the Midwife, Masterpiece Theater started the second season of Upstairs Downstairs which is a good substitute for my favorite British program, Downton Abbey.  I wish American TV would produce such classy and entertaining programs!!

And as for reading, I have found a new cozy mystery series written by Amanda Lee. The first book in the series is  The Quick and the Thread. The main character is Jill Singer, who gives up her accounting career in San Francisco to live the dream. She loves needlework and has always wanted to own a needlework shop. She gets her opportunity when her college friend tells Jill about a shop that is for rent in the small town of Tallulah Falls, Oregon.  Of course Jill did not count on finding a dead body in her storeroom after the open house she threw to acquaint the citizens of Tallulah Falls with her new business.  If you love needlework, you will enjoy this series. I am almost finished with  The Quick and the Thread and I have the second book in the series on my bedside table. I love Paperback Book Swap as I found both of these books on that site.  If needlework is not your thing but cake decorating is, Ms Lee has a second series that is written under the name of Gayle Trent. The first book in that series is Killer Sweet Tooth. Gayle Trent also has a blog that you might enjoy as well. She shares lots of pictures of pretty cakes and cross stitch patterns there.  I may add her blog to my blogroll!

Well it is a rainy day here, I am doing laundry and I will probably take up my stitching again. I am looking forward to a visit from Miss Margaret. She is going to come and stay with Nana and Grandpa until Wednesday. I doubt I will get any stitching done while she is here!!

2 comments:

Mrs R said...

Killer Sweet Tooth! :) So cute!

Arlene, on the cross stitch, is the pattern/picture on the cloth or do you have to start with a blank slate?

Cross stitch is lovely but my eyes aren't great. I appreciate seeing others' work.

Arlene Grimm said...

Counted Cross stitch is done on a blank piece of linen or aida cloth. You start the design in the middle and work out. Gina, If I did not have a magnifier I would not be able to do it either!!