Followers

Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Birthday Boy is having lunch with all the children today. Kendall and Landon will not be here as they are with their dad this weekend  but we are planning a birthday breakfast next Saturday for Grandpa and Bubba.  Steak, Broccoli, Red Potatoes and Salad are on the menu today. I am tying the "smashed potato" recipe I pinned on Pinterest. I will report on that next week!! For dessert we have Carrot Cake and Coca Cola Cake. Carrot Cake is Marvin's favorite but the kids are not too fond of it so I made a Coca Cola Cake. This is a recipe that was popular  many years ago but fell into the been there, done that, moved on File in my cookbook. But several weeks ago my sweet neighbor, Janet, brought us some Coca Cola cake and  it made me remember how much I had liked that cake! So in case you are not familiar with the recipe, I will share it with you.

Coca Cola Cake
2 c Self Rising Flour
2 c Sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Mix together in a large bowl and set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix together 1 cup of butter, 1/4 c cocoa, 1 c. Coca Cola and 1/2 c buttermilk. Heat until it boils, remove from heat and stir it into the flour mixture with a whisk. Allow to cool, then add 2 eggs and 1 t. vanilla. Mix with whisk until incorporated and pour batter into a greased and floured 9 by 13 pan. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees.(preheat your oven to 350)

While it is still warm from the oven, pour frosting over top of cake.

Frosting...
Heat 1/2 c. butter, 1/4 c. cocoa and 1/2 c Coca Cola over medium heat until it boils. Then whisk into 4 cups of sifted confectioners sugar.  Pour over cake.

This is an easy cake because you do not need a hand mixer to prepare it...and most of the items I had in my pantry. Being from Georgia, I always have some Coca Cola on hand! It is a rich cake but so good. After my kids take home what they want, I will be sharing with my neighbor, Jean, who is a chocoholic so I know she will enjoy this gooey goodness!

1 comment:

Mrs.T said...

I have made Coca Cola cake in years gone by. I remember it as being very yummy indeed!