Followers

Friday, November 2, 2012

I found another mystery series that I like...The Hawkenlye Mysteries by Alys Clare. I came upon The Chatter of the Maidens at our Book Sale Room at the library. It was just fifty cents so I took a gamble and brought it home. I am so glad I did.  Alys Clare is the pen name of Elizabeth Harris. She writes of the Hawkenlye Abbey where nuns and monks work together for the spiritual and physical good of the people in the area of Tonbridge. The mysteries are set in the late 1100s during the time of Richard the Lionhearted.  While I do enjoy Cadfael, I am not usually a fan of medieval books so I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed Chatter of the Maidens.  Abbess Helewise  is the wise head of the sisters of Hawkenlye and along with her friend and mentor, Sir Josse d'Aquin  she solves the mysteries that seem  to come often to Hawkenlye. Chatter of the Maidens finds three sisters coming to Hawkenlye for help after the death of their parents. One sister claims to be a nun but is she? Her two younger sisters seem to be terrified of their older sister which puzzles Abbess Helewise. Soon after the arrival of the young women, there is a murder among the pilgrims who travel to Hawkenlye. Is there a connection between all of these events?

I enjoyed reading of this time in history. Living in the 21st century it is hard to grasp the hardships the people faced in a day of limited finances, travel and medical care.  I will be looking for more books in this series and thanks to PaperbackBook Swap, I have another book in this series on its way to me right now!! With our library closing for two months, PaperbackBook Swap will be a blessing!!

2 comments:

Mrs R said...

Arlene, that book does look interesting! Did the butler do it? :)

Arlene Grimm said...

Lol Mrs R....I just received Ashes of the Elements in the mail today, another in the series. But The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory arrived also, what is a girl to do ???