Followers

Monday, December 31, 2012

One of the things I look forward to in 2013 is the third season of Downton Abbey! When I was a young wife and mother, I watched  Soap Operas in the afternoon while the kiddies napped. The ones that I watched were the ones that my mother and grandmother had watched for years. They called them their "stories".  But over the years I lost interest in them. I think that happened when they went from Stories to  Crazies. Crazy plots and much racier bedroom scenes were not for me.  But I must admit to being hooked on Downton Abbey. The scenery, the characters and the plot line are all perfect for an Anglophile like me.  It is the story of the Crawley family and their life at their manor. In addition to the upstairs family the downstairs servants are featured prominently in the story line as well.   This season, the two matriarchs of the family will lock horns. Shirley Maclaine will play Lady Crawley's American mother who is visiting Downton Abbey while Maggie Smith continues to reign supreme as  the dowager mother of the manor.  I have to pull for Maggie Smith in this instance as she is one of my favorite actresses of all time.  I am sure there will be fireworks as these two talented actresses share the big screen.

And now I am caught up in  another British production....Call the Midwife. Set in the 1950s, it is the story of nurses who care for inhabitants of a poor section of London.  I was able to watch their holiday episode last night on PBS and I cannot wait for season two to start in March. As an old nurse, I find the stories of these brave young nurses so inspiring.  And I love the nuns who are nurses that work along side the public health nurses. They have much to teach their young charges about life and faith.

If you are looking for some quality programming on television, I highly recommend these two shows!

1 comment:

Mrs R said...

Happy New Year's Eve, Arlene! I too am hooked on Dowton Abbey! My daughter was telling me about the Midwife show. Now with two recommendations I will surely check it out.