Followers

Saturday, January 5, 2013

How many of us go to the grocery store to get one thing and end up coming out with that one thing? I do not know about you but I never seem to come out with the one item I was looking for! I always find something else that I think I must have. On Wednesday I put a roast beef in the crock pot and then realized I had no rice pilaf to go with it....no problem, I would pick up some when I took Landon and Kendall to get their hair cuts. But it was so cold that day that I just could not bring myself to get us all out and into the store when I could go home to my warm house. So I did something I seldom do when preparing a meal. I looked in my pantry and determined I would find something to use instead of rice pilaf.   I came upon a box of mini pene and a can of golden mushroom soup. Would these two things work together to make a noodle dish?  I boiled two cups of pasta, drained it and added my can of golden mushroom soup. I stirred in a bit of milk to make it creamier and then poured in into a small casserole dish. I added some grated cheese to the top and placed it in the oven at 350 for about twenty minutes. I have to say, it was mighty tasty with our beef, greenbeans and homemade bread. ( Ok...it was a loaf of Rhodes Bread, but I baked it at home.)  It really encouraged me to be a little more adventurous in the kitchen. And I am doing a devotion on stewardship for our MOPs meeting on Friday so it gave me an illustration for that devotion as well!

2 comments:

Mrs R said...

Arlene, great thinking! I have been meaning to take stock of what is in my pantry and see what I need. It is good to have little extra items because we don't know when we might be needing them.

Mrs.T said...

This is the story of my life, Arlene! I am always substituting and improvising, and it usually works out fairly well. (I have a great, quick rice pilaf recipe that has many variations. It came from the book Make Your Own Groceries, a really helpful resource for making things homemade.) Your noodle dish sounded really tasty! Here's to a year of good stewardship and kitchen adventures!