Followers

Saturday, January 26, 2013

I just tried a Pinterest recipe and it is a Keeper. I have to admit that I did switch it up a bit after reading the comments of the people who had tried it. It seemed that some had success and some did not.  Here is the original recipe....1 16 oz bag of small pretzels(I used Rold Gold) 1/2 c vegetable oil, 1/2 c sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Pour pretzels into roasting pan. Mix oil, sugar and cinnamon, pour over pretzels. Bake 30 minutes, stir twice.

Ok...some of the people who tried it said it turned out to be a sticky mess. So here is how I did it and mine are yummy.

I put a piece of parchment paper in my roasting pan. I used only a half a bag of pretzels and that filled the pan. One poster noted that they really taste better the day they are made and tend to get stale if you keep them much longer. So I only used one half bag of pretzels!

I mixed 1/4  cup butter, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. I melted the butter in a saucepan, added the sugar and cinnamon and let it cook long enough to combine. I then poured it over the pretzels, making sure all were coated by stirring them well. I baked at 300 for 30 minutes but I stirred them every ten minutes. I drained them on paper towels and believe me they are YUMMO. Next time I might add a bit more butter and sugar just to try it out. My hubs said the pretzels with more sugar on them are the best!!lol...

Give this recipe a try when you need some nibbles for a  crowd, none will be left I am sure!

3 comments:

Mrs.T said...

I made these cinnamon pretzels for kitchen gifts a couple of years in a row. They are indeed wonderful. This year, I have no idea why, I forgot all about them. The recipe I have is just like yours except it calls for 2/3 cup oil rather than 1/2 cup. I usually use oil rather than butter, and I shake the pretzels with the coating mixture in a ziptop bag, rather than trying to coat them by pouring the mix over the pretzels and stirring. I believe I worked with half a bag of pretzels and half the coating ingredients at a time, and cooked the mixture in 2 pans. I used the same timing you did on the stirring. And you are right -- they are wonderful! I put them in tins for gift-giving.

Arlene Grimm said...

It would definitely take two pans to make a whole bag!! The recipe reminds me of a cinnamon Pecan recipe that I have and love. I agree that the key to this recipe is making sure the pretzels are coated well with the mixture. I guess we have been cooking long enough that we know what works and what does not!!lol

Mrs R said...

Ladies, both those recipes sound easy and delicious! mmm