Followers

Friday, January 11, 2013

In preparation for weekend breakfasts, I made up a batch of Six Week Bran Muffins. Now this was a very popular recipe back in the 1980s and I made them frequently. It was one of those recipes you love for a time then it gets placed in the back of your cookbook and you forget about it. However I thought I would make something healthy to serve my guests this weekend and  Six Weeks Muffins came to mind. Maybe the bran will soak up the grease from the sausage and eggs I plan to serve on Saturday morning.:)  These muffins are called six weeks muffins because the batter will last in the fridge for up to six weeks. Since my batter never stayed in the fridge for six weeks, I cannot comment on the veracity of the name of the recipe.

Six Week Bran Muffins

1 15 oz box Raisin Bran
3 cups sugar
5 cups self rising flour
1 cup vegetable oil
3 tsp cinnamon
1 quart buttermilk
4 eggs

Place raisin bran in large bowl.( Note that the newer boxes of raisin bran hold more than 15 oz)  Pour buttermilk over cereal. I let this sit for a while to allow the cereal to break down a bit. I also added an additional cup of raisins.

Mix sugar, eggs and oil together...stir into buttermilk mixture.  Stir well.
Add cinnamon to flour and stir gradually into the wet mixture. You will use up some calories just stirring this in!! I suppose you could use a hand mixer but I have found with muffins that they taste better if they are not over mixed so I use a big wooden spoon to incorporate the flour.
I also use self rising flour...most Southern cooks do but if you do not, you can find the measurements for salt and baking powder online. Simply google six week muffin recipe and you will find it there.

Place your muffin batter in a large airtight container and store in the fridge. When ready to bake, place batter in greased and floured muffin tins and bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. I have given up greasing and flouring baking pans...I use Bakers Joy! It is much easier and the baked goods always come right away from the pan without sticking!

I know we will enjoy this blast from the past....we can relive the 1980s while we munch on our muffins!

1 comment:

Mrs R said...

Arlene, I make these from time to time and they are delicious. Have you tried adding a chunk of pineapple to each muffin in the batter? :-)