Followers

Thursday, February 28, 2013

How did it get to be February 28th so quickly? Seems just yesterday we were celebrating Christmas? I love the sound of March 1st...even though it is chilly here right now, we know Spring is just around the corner. I plan to get out my Easter decorations tomorrow. Kendall and I are planning some special Easter Crafts as well.  Aunt Leta found some easy Easter Craft kits at The Dollar Tree so Kendall and Landon will be making some Easter magnets for Mommy's fridge.  I love crafting with the littlies.

I finished another book yesterday. Taking time out to read each night before I go to sleep has helped me to sleep better. And the stack of books by my bedside is slowly decreasing so there is a feeling of accomplishment with that feat.

Being a former preschool teacher and part time nanny, I love any books about Nannying. I have read The Nanny Diaries and White House Nannies with relish. Yesterday I finished You'll Never Nanny in this Town Again, the Confessions of a Hollywood Nanny by Suzanne Hansen. It was written in 2003 but I am just now getting to it! Suzy Hansen was a 19 year old girl who skipped college to go to Nanny School in the late 1980s. Knowing that Nannying was not really needed in her native Oregon, she heads to California. She quickly finds a job with a Hollywood big wig, Michael Ovitz. Now I had no idea who he was but after googling him, I found out! Michael and wife, Judy, have three children who need a new nanny. Suzy jumps head first into the job, forgetting that her nanny school had taught her to be sure and sign a contract with the family stating her duties, off time etc. As a result of this mistake, Suzy finds she has no life of her own. After a year and a half of being at the beck and call of the Ovitz family she burns out. While she loves the children, she can no longer be a 20 yo woman without any life outside her time with other nannies. From there she goes on to nanny for Debra Winger and  Rhea Perlman and Danny DeVito. After another year of nannying in better situations, Suzy is done with the bright lights and big city. She heads home to Oregon to go to nursing school.  I was not really surprised by some of the things her employers pulled but one thing that seems consistent in all the nanny books I have read is that the parents say that they want the best for their children but apparently that does not include quality child care. They want to bicker over pay and hours for the nanny. Suzy finally figured out she was making 80 cents an hour at the Ovitz mansion.  Fortunately when I nannied, it was only part time and I did it because I enjoyed it, I did not depend on it to make my living. You do find yourself falling in love with the children you care for and they are always special to you. While googling Mr Ovitz, I saw pictures of his children who are now in their 30s and all three are quite accomplished. That makes a nanny proud!!

No comments: