Followers

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I am thinking of my Granddaddy Tankersley this morning as he was born on this day in 1904. He was a kind, quiet man who I still miss dearly. I can only remember him raising his voice to me one time in my whole childhood.  A bunch of the first cousins were at Grandmother and Granddaddy's house one Sunday afternoon. And if you put a group of children together you are going to have some mischief! Grandmother and Granddaddy lived on a hill and they had a little pumphouse that was built into the side of the hill. It was easy to go up the hill and then walk out onto the pumphouse roof. Well someone had the bright idea that we would all stand on the roof. It was not very high off the ground but a fall would have hurt or perhaps broken a bone.  Granddaddy came outside and saw us there and yelled for us to get off that roof right now.  We scrambled to get down. I guess we were all in shock that Granddaddy had yelled at us!!   Now Grandmother on the other hand was always fussing at us so if she had yelled at us, it would not have had as much impact.  Some of the things I remember about my Granddaddy....he was a fox hunter, he was a beeman, he worked in the Older Americans program for the US Forest Service in his retirement years. Many said he could outwork the younger men! I do not doubt that.  Granddaddy was at church for every service. He was a man of quiet faith.  I am proud that I have a son and a grandson named after Henry Clifford Tankersley. Happy Birthday in Heaven Granddaddy!

2 comments:

Mrs R said...

Arlene, your grandfather sounds like such an interesting gentleman. I don't think I could be a bee woman.

Arlene Grimm said...

Me either but he had that calm cool temperament that bees love. He had the best honey too!!