Followers

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

 Yesterday I got inspired to do some "fluffing" around my nest. I was tired of the same old same old and I had been thinking of ways to change things up a bit. You will see in the first picture the sconces that I have had for years. I loved the little fern balls that topped them but the colors just did not work with my new painting. I decided to take down the sconces and paint them with burnt umber, allowing some of the old color to show through for depth.  I purchased these battery operated candles at Kirklands last week. They were on sale for $3.97 each. I added some triple A batteries and they look so pretty when they are turned on in the evening. Below is the after photo of my dining room and I think the darker color really works!
 Then I got busy fluffing my dining room buffet.  I keep reading that Brass is Back. Well I married in 1976 and brass was the bomb then so I have several brass pieces that I have held on to through the years. Several years ago, I found some massive brass candlesticks at an antique shop for only $8 and I could not help but buy them. They were so pretty.  I decided to put my brass candlesticks in the place of the buffet lamps that have graced the buffet for at least ten years! It was a look I liked but I was just ready for a change.  I placed the buffet lamps on the dresser in my bedroom. I had been wanting to buy lamps for a while but just never found exactly what I was looking for at a price I was willing to pay. So I will leave the buffet lamps on the dresser for a while.  I am thinking I really need bigger lamps on the dresser but these will do for now.

The funny thing is that my husband came home from work and he did not notice a thing. He really lets me do as I please with our home as long as I do not bother his man cave. :)  I think switching up things around the house is a good cure for the winter doldrums.

2 comments:

Mrs R said...

Arlene, my husband is the same way. He rarely notices home changes. He gives me free reign on decorating. (Hooray!) Now will you need to polish the brass candlesticks from time to time?

Arlene Grimm said...

I do have some brass polish that I can clean them with Mrs R. Thankfully Brass does not have to be cleaned as often as silver. I have a few pieces I have on display that could use a good cleaning right now. Maybe that will be a chore for the weekend.:)