Followers

Monday, February 4, 2013

I have been reading again!! My friend, Deborah, let me borrow her copy of Left Neglected by Lisa Genova.  What a story! I have to admit that the first part of the book was hard for me to read. It was so feverishly paced that it almost gave me a headache. Sarah Nickerson is a thirtysomething wife and mother but her main interest is in her high powered executive job. She loves solving the hard problems and staying on top of her work. But this comes at a price...her family. Kate has a lovely home in Boston, a vacation home in Vermont, a loving husband and three adorable children. She is also blessed with a nanny who has been with the family since the birth of her first child. Her oldest son, Charlie, is having problems at school but that just seems to be a footnote in Kate's life. The Nickerson family rushes from one activity to another seldom slowing down to enjoy each other. Sarah prides herself on multitasking! One morning while driving to work in the rain and trying to talk on her cell phone, Sarah rolls her car and suffers a traumatic brain injury. The book tells the story of her recovery, the rebuilding of her relationship with her mother and the rebuilding of a family. This book emphasizes the truly important things in life.   It reminded me of a friend of mine when we were young moms. No she was not like Sarah but she was married to a man who was like Sarah. Work was his main focus. One day my friend reminded her husband that if he died in a plane crash tomorrow, Boeing would find a replacement for him right away.  And such is life.  After finishing this book, I started Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. I am beginning to think that I am not going to finish it. Why? Well it was set in the early 1900s, like Downton Abbey but the characters in this book are just not even likable.  The story opens with a young man looking back at his years at Oxford. ( Now I love Oxford and watched many Inspector Morse and Inspector Lewis episodes set at Oxford on Masterpiece Theater) These young men have  no redeeming values that I can see and they all seem to be a little too fond of each other for my taste.  Sorry Mr Waugh...I think you will be relegated to the Unreadable pile and reposted on Paperback Swap.

Today is one of my days off so I have some errands to run and I am going to enjoy the warmer weather as it is supposed to be 58 today. After a cold weekend that sunshine on my shoulders will make me happy!(Just like John Denver!)

1 comment:

Mrs R said...

Enjoy the sunshine! It was sunny today but cold. Tomorrow and the next day we are due for more snow. I can't complain as we have been fortunate so far this winter. :-)