Followers

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I made Christy Jordan's (Southern Plate Blog) Vanilla Wafer Cake to serve at our MOPs fellowship the other night and I must say it is tasty! To me it is the perfect breakfast cake....dense, chewy and so good with a cup of coffee. The next time I am scheduled for snacks for our Sunday School Class this is one of the goodies I will be making for Kindred Spirits.

Here is the recipe....

One box of NILLA vanilla wafers...trust me, NILLA is the best!
2 c sugar
1/2 c milk
6 eggs
1 c shredded coconut
1 c chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a tube pan or bundt pan. I use Baker's Joy...so much easier.
Crush vanilla wafers...I put mine is a big ziplock bag and crushed them with a can of evaporated milk. Landon would have LOVED to help with this recipe. He enjoys helping me in the kitchen and crushing vanilla wafers would be right up his alley!  Set aside.
Beat eggs and sugar together until creamy. Now Christy says to beat the eggs and just toss everything else in the bowl and mix but I am not a free spirit like Christy!
Add vanilla wafers, coconut, pecans and milk. Beat for two minutes.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 for one hour.

This cake has no oil...I guess the eggs make up for that. Also...it does not rise very much so do not be surprised. I have to say it is a yummy cake and quite filling. It is a KEEPER in my book!

1 comment:

Mrs R said...

Arlene,

What a wonderful idea - who would have thought to use Nilla wafers for a cake! I've heard they can be used for banana cream pie but haven't tried it. It does look good to eat with a cup of coffee!