Followers

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"How wonderful is ritual, what a comfort in dark times!"

I loved this quote from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M Valente.  It is a book that is aimed at the middle school reader but I have to say it appears to be written to adults. Much of the humor and the satire is on an adult level. I have always enjoyed reading childrens books and when I heard of this one, I was intrigued. It is not a "fast" read but it is an interesting read!

Getting back to the quote, as I read this line last night, I underlined it in my book. ( Sometimes I cannot resist marking passages and I love to read books where another reader has marked certain thoughts. I think I gain insight into the person's inner life by the passages that they find meaningful.)  I found this comment on ritual so true!! I am a creature of habit and my husband is as well so we understand each other! Every morning, I like to do things in a certain order. If I get out of order, well  my whole day is just not the same!!:) When I sit down with my laptop after breakfast, I like to look at certain sites in a certain order!  I do think that ritual can be taken too far but it is so true that in "dark times" my daily rituals bring me order and peace.  Ritual helps us to function when life seems to be in chaos.  I think that is one reason why the English came through WW2 so wonderfully....they had their ritual of making tea and taking time out to be civilized in the midst of war.  One of my favorite scenes in the movie, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe is when Mr Tumnus takes Lucy to his cozy home and makes tea for her to have in front of the warm fire.  A little ritual to welcome Lucy to Narnia.

How about you? Do you have your own rituals that bring you comfort? I would love to hear about them!

No comments: