Followers

Thursday, March 21, 2013

I have always been an Anglophile. I love all things British! It might be due to my Tankersley roots in Yorkshire, England! I was just reading an article about Queen Elizabeth taking a ride on the English Underground to celebrate it's 150th year. She was joined by Prince Phillip and the lovely Duchess of Cambridge. I think Queen Elizabeth is a role model for aging gracefully. I hope that I am as active as she is when I reach her age!  I was just saying to a friend the other day that when Queen Elizabeth dies I will really feel as though I am old! She has been on the throne since before I was born and has always acted gracefully and honorably in her service to her country. In one of her biographies, I read that she really sees it as a God Given position and has tried to serve both God and Country. Another reason I love Queen Elizabeth is her wide variety of hats and purses to match every outfit. Anyone who knows me knows that I love purses! And I do wish hats would come back into fashion. I think they are so lovely framing a woman's face.

And speaking of things British, I was sad to see that another old Britcom actor, Frank Thornton, passed away this week at age 92. You may remember him best as Captain Peacock on Are You Being Served. He was the last of the original cast of that program. Marvin and I enjoy watching the Britcoms. Some of our favorites are The Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By, Waiting for God, To the Manor Born and Good Neighbors. We were introduced to them on our local PBS station as part of their Saturday evening line up. Due to recent budget cuts, they have been taken off the air. It is good that I have many of them on DVD so I can watch them whenever I want.  If you watch As Time Goes By, Marvin and I describe ourselves as Lionel and Jean. Our personalities and interaction as a couple are much the same as the Hardcastles!!

Well it is BFF Day and we are checking out the new Mellow Mushroom downtown today. Decatur is trying to revitalize the downtown  and they are counting on an Arts College and new eateries to breathe life into the area.  I hope it works! We do have a lovely downtown area and I would like to see it buzzing with activity!

Speaking of buzzing, I must buzz off...lots to do today!! Have a good one.

2 comments:

Mrs R said...

Your afternoon sounds delightful. I wonder what kind of restaurant the Mellow Mushroom is! Or is it a store?

Arlene Grimm said...

It is a southern pizza chain place Mrs R!! I ended up having an avocado hoagie and it was delish.