Followers

Friday, April 5, 2013

I am still stuggling along with this Macbook. Hopefully hubs will take it to Huntsville with him today! That is where the Mac doctor is!

I have finished several books lately. All have just been so so. The most recent one I read is The Three Weismanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine. It was promoted as a take off on Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility so that got my attention right away. I love Jane Austen! Betty and Joseph Weismann have been married 48 years when he announces that he wants a divorce in order to marry his "youngish" assistant at his company. Betty is flabbergasted by this news. She might have expected it when he was in his 50s or 60s but now?? Betty married Joseph when she was a young widow with two little girls to raise. Joseph adopted the girls, Annie and Miranda, and they think of him as their father. They are very angry with him when he announces he is moving on. And of course there is the haggling over property. Namely the condo in a prime NYC location. While Betty is struggling, so are her daughters. They wonder what will happen to the three of them. To the rescue comes Cousin Lou. He sets them up in one of his beach houses at Westport. Not one of the new McMansion Beach houses that are popping up everywhere but a genuine 1950s beach cottage. The Weismann ladies settle in expecting a quiet life but each of them finds peace and the comfort of family at a difficult time. They also find that life did not stop just because Joseph pulled the rug out from under them. While this book had a promising premise, by the end of the book, I was skimming through just wanting to see how it ended!  Really who can improve on Jane Austen?

On the home front, I am crocheting some blankets for my new doll bed!! I got some soft pink yarn that the girlies will love. When it is finished, I will post some pictures. I want you to see the full effect. It is the cutest thing.

This evening I will be attending the ladies conference at our church. It is a short one, just this evening and tomorrow morning. My BFFs are going as well so I look forward to some time with them and other ladies in our church!

1 comment:

Mrs R said...

Arlene, How big is the doll bed? Will it take long to crochet the blankets?