Followers

Friday, May 17, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me...

Today is my 58th birthday! Some ladies are reluctant to share their ages but I am proud of mine. I was born in 1955...I guess if I was a house I would be a mid century modern!:) One of my earliest memories is sitting in our living room, eating my lunch off of a tray and watching I Love Lucy. Another early memory is giving my new born baby sister, Kristi, some of my chewing gum!! Thank goodness my mother got it out of her mouth. I grew up surrounded by family and cousins which is not the norm for today's children as families seem to be scattered to the winds, relocating for jobs in all parts of the USA. Elementary school was basic...not too many children in my small town went to kindergarten so first grade teachers had their hands full teaching ABC's and 123's. There were no copy machines but mimeograph machines...I can still remember the smell of the ink on the barely dry work pages.  Holidays were simple affairs. Halloween meant a mask of some kind, maybe one jack o lantern on the porch for Halloween night. Christmas was a tree, greenery in the house and lots of fun with grandparents and cousins. Easter brought a basket of candy, new dresses for church and more family gatherings. I can remember the Cuban Missile Crisis and the day President Kennedy was killed. Those events really rocked my 7th and 8th year of life.  As I grew up on our small farm in North Georgia, I learned to work hard and to seek excellance in all I did thanks to the example of my parents. My mother had always wanted to attend college but she was not able to do so. She took a job working as a secretary in one of the mills in Dalton, Georgia. So she was determined that her girls would study hard and have the opportunity to go to college if they so desired. I went to nursing school with the money I had saved working at The Big V, summers and weekends along with a student loan. In Atlanta, I met my future husband and made lifetime friends.  After marrying Marvin, I was blessed with three wonderful children.  I have been so blessed in this life that I just have to say, Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow! I am thankful for my sweet home Alabama, my family, my church and my dear friends. I am hoping for many more birthdays to come!!

3 comments:

Gina said...

Happy Birthday Arlene! I hope you have a wonderful day. I am blessed to have you for my friend.

Mrs.T said...

Happy Birthday, Arlene!!! Hope it's been a truly blessed day for you.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you dear ladies...I count both of you as sweet blog friends!! Would love to meet you both in person sometime!!