Followers

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hello Summer!

Today is Kendall's last day of school as a first grader! This year has flown by and our big girl has learned so much. I dropped off end of the year gifts for Mrs R, her first grade teacher and Mrs J, who is her s peech teacher. Kendall helped me decide on gifts and we came to the conclusion that gift cards were the way to go! We added a pretty notepad and wrapped them nicely. Kendall wanted her teachers to know how much she appreciated all that they have done for her this year.

When I was a little girl, the last day of school meant Summer...even though summer did not officially arrive until June.  The first days of summer break were fun but then boredom set in which my mother helped us to over come by giving us chores to do! (Note to self, do not complain about being bored!) Then the garden "came in" as we say in the south. That meant helping Mother to can and freeze. I remember many hot days in our small kitchen...putting up food for the winter. There was no air conditioning and we all vied to get closest to the fan that whirred away as we worked.  I also remember trips to the library for books to read and the high point of my summer, Vacation Bible School.  Life was good.

Now I will have Kendall and Landon to keep busy this summer. I have already been lining up crafts to do but we will also be reading and doing a bit of cleaning. I have found that both Kendall and Landon like to help around the house so I plan to take advantage of that and I hope to teach them some new skills as well. Landon loves to cook. Yesterday we made some peanut butter fudge...super easy, two bags of Reeses peanut butter chips and one can of sweetened condensed milk. Stir together over medium heat until everything is smooth, pour into an 8 by 8 pan..cool in fridge then eat!! Now Landon is not a peanut butter lover but he did want to take some of the candy home to share. He loves it when we all brag on him for being a good cook.

Today is friend day....off to the Olive Garden to eat to celebrate my birthday. Looking forward to time with friends!

1 comment:

Gina said...

I remember summer ~ a time to relax AND a time for summer chores. We didn't fuss or complain. It was just part of life.

Peanut Butter fudge sounds delicious!