Followers

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Memento Jar

 I saw this craft on several blog sites as well as Pinterest and I thought I would make one for my guest room. I found the "cracker jar" at Target for $5.97.  I had moss on hand...the "mementos" were shopped from my house so this was really an inexpensive craft. You can also change them up for the seasons which is fun for any crafter. The little doily on top of the jar was a gift from a missionary from Romania who stayed in our home for the missions conference at our church. I simply threaded some thin ribbon through the edges of the doily to make it fit the lid. ( Am I smart or what???):)
 Here is a close up of the mementos I included...The  gnome was a gift to me from my talented cousin, John William Hooper. When he married his lovely bride a few years ago(we won't say how many) I helped with the rehearsal dinner and he carved this as a thank you gift. I have been after him to make me a Santa Claus...he really could make a mint with his carving talents but he chooses to do them as a creative outlet and I understand that! The blue book in the back is an old Palmer method penmanship book given to me by my friend, Susan. She thought I could use it to help Kendall learn to write but I assured her it was going to be treasured by ME. The old picture is my dad and his brother when they were little boys. Behind the angel is some Chinese Currency that Charles brought home from his life there. The little angel belonged to my mother in law...we both liked angels. There is also a shell from our vacation at Gulf Shores last year as well as some sea washed rocks that I picked up there.  I simply drew some little sayings on them and put them in my jar. The bottom of the jar is covered with moss...it adds a pop of color to the design.
 A few more close ups...hope you enjoyed seeing my Saturday craft!

6 comments:

Gina said...

Arlene, that is so adorable! I will have to look at my Target for a jar like that! :-)

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Gina...I am going to buy some more to make "Holiday " Memento jars. That way I can just swap them out!! I had fun doing it.

Dewilla Hooper said...

I have one of his Santas, and I have a duck with a backwards head that he made for me when I was teaching story about a young boy who carved!

Arlene Grimm said...

He is super talented. I still want a Santa to go with my Santa collection.

Mrs.T said...

What a lovely idea, Arlene! I have a jar similar to this that I found in Walmart a few years ago. I think the one I have may be larger than the one you used, but I think they had them in other sizes as well. I would probably have to buy another one to use for this, since I often use my jar to take fruit salad to summer gatherings. Thanks for the inspiration!

Arlene Grimm said...

I plan to buy some more jars Mrs T...this was so fun and so inexpensive. I am already thinking of a "fall" and "winter" jar!!