Followers

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

We Interrupt this Post...

I had planned to do a book review this morning but my heart is heavy as I hear reports from Oklahoma. What a heartbreaking sight...especially the school where 20 little ones lost their lives. Let's all remember these dear people in our prayers today. Being from Georgia and living in Alabama, tornados have been a part of my life from my childhood. When I was in elementary school a tornado hit our little community doing much damage and uprooting three big shade trees on our school play ground. I was in nursing school when the April outbreak of 1974 devastated many communities from the south all the way up to Kentucky.  I was so scared because I could not get in touch with my family to see if they were ok. I was so relieved when I was finally able to hear that they were safe. In 1989, we lived in Huntsville where a huge tornado hit the southern part of the city.  A school was destroyed there as well. Children were attending the after school program but thankfully no one died.  The death toll was in the 20s after that massive tornado. Then we went through the April 27th,2011 tornado that destroyed several nearby communities...another reminder that storms are to be taken seriously.  It has made me a believer in taking cover when the weathermen tell you to do so!!  Yet with tornados and straight line winds...often they spring up and gather more strength than predicted.  My plan for storms is to take cover and pray!  And I will be praying for the people of Moore, Oklahoma as they pick up the pieces of their lives and deal with heartbreak and sorrow. God Bless Oklahoma.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Arlene, my prayers are with those in Oklahoma. I don't frighten easily but tornados scare me to death.