Followers

Friday, June 14, 2013

It is Official....I am a Francophile!

I have always been an Anglophile. When Hubs and I are watching Jeopardy and a category pops up for Great Britain, he knows that I will have the ANSWER. And I do, most of the time. But now I am finding myself in love with France as well. In addition to being a Grimm, my hubs other family line is Morel, which is French! Pierre Rudolph Morel was his ancestor who came to Georgia with James Oglethorpe.  My interest in France started with the book, Tout Sweet by Karen Wheeler. She moved to the French countryside to live after the madness of living in London for years. I loved her story of finding an old house in the little village and fixing it up to be her French nest.  So as I was looking at Kindle Listings I came upon this book by Amy Thomas.  I think a part of my fascination with Paris is due to HGTV's House Hunters International. When they film their program in Paris, I am just delighted to see all the eye candy there.

Paris, My Sweet  is the story of a young New Yorker who gets the chance to move to Paris to work as a copy writer at Luis Vuitton! ( I could not believe it when she wrote that employees got NO discount on Luis purses!!) Ms Thomas writes from her heart as she describes learning to live as the Parisians do...taking life slower and enjoying the beauty of everyday life.  She also shares her frustration as she tries to break the culture barrier in France. But this memoir is really about the food of Paris...mainly sweets and a lot of chocolate. This book was just made for me, Paris, purses and sweets!! If you are a Francophile and a Foodie, you must read this little tome and just drool over her descriptions of the patisseries and all their wares!  My friend, Susan, has traveled to Europe several times recently and I must say that the chocolate she brings home is so delish!! There is just no comparison to it here in America.

So if there is no vacay on your horizon this summer, relax with this book in your favorite chair. Eat a sweet while you read and sip on some coffee or tea...you will think you are on the streets of Paris!!

No comments: