Followers

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Lovely Place

I have always been a reader. My mother took me and my two sisters to our local library once a week in the summertime. During the school year, we had the luxury of checking out books from the school library and the book mobile.  I can still remember that small brick building that sat on the corner near Robert Dickey's Feed and Seed in Chatsworth, Georgia. Miss Johnnie Hartley was the librarian and she ran a tight ship! Miss Johnnie's spidery handwriting  labeled all the books on the shelves. I looked forward to our trip to weekly visits to the library where I could check out  interesting books about faraway people and places.  One of the first series that I remember reading was the B is for Betsy Books by Carolyn Haywood.  Biographies of famous people also caught my attention. As I grew older I moved on to Donna Parker and Trixie Belden. As a teenager I was allowed to check out books from the adult section of the library.

As I raised my children, I continued that tradition and now I take the grands to the library.  I began to notice in the last few years that my reading time was not as plentiful as it had been in the past so I knew I had to do sometime about that! I decided to turn the tv off at nine and go to bed for an hour of reading before turning out the lights. It really has been life changing as I began to realize how much time I was wasting watching less than edifying tv programs.  I have come to treasure this special time each evening.

This morning one of my nieces put out a request on Facebook for some suggestions for a good book to read. I decided to look over my Good Reads and I suggested a few to Jessica. I thought I might list some of the best books I have read recently here on my blog as other friends often ask me for book recommendations as well. Here are a few that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Happy Reading!

Swan Place   Augusta Trobaugh
To School Through the Fields by Alice Taylor
In This House of Brede  Rumer Godden
The Violets of March   Sarah Jio
While We Were Watching Downton Abbey  Wendy Wax
The Little Way of Ruthie Leming   Rod Dreher
The Slacker Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino De Santiago   Sunshine Jen
The 13th Tale   Diane Satterfield
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand  Helen Simonson
A Week in Winter   Maeve Binchy
The Soldier's Wife  Margaret Leroy
The Language of Flowers   Vanessa Diffenbaugh
The Dry Grass of August   Anna J Mayhew

1 comment:

Gina said...

Arlene, I remember the book mobile! That was so long ago....

I wonder if I read "A Week of Winter" today that I might feel cooler?