Followers

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Out Of The Mouths of Babes

"
This is a picture of the first time Daddy met his first great grandson, Landon.  It was taken almost five years ago. Landon does not remember a time when "Pa" was not bedridden. I hate that for my grands as Daddy would have had a wonderful time with them on the farm if he had been healthy. It truly is hard to understand why some things happen the way they do in real life.

Landon and Kendall were with their dad when Daddy passed away so Nick wanted Amelia to tell them about it. But Amelia had not had time to sit down with them when they arrived on Tuesday morning to stay with me. I was not going to say anything, leaving that up to Mommy but that is not how it turned out.  Kendall was upstairs playing when it was time to check the mailbox. Landon loves to go with me to the mailbox and he likes to take the mail into the house where we open it together. On Tuesday I received quite a number of sympathy cards and as Landon was helping me open them he wanted to know what those cards were for! (He knows all about Birthday Cards and thought maybe it was my birthday).  I explained to him that Pa had gone to heaven and my friends were sending me cards to tell me that they were thinking of me as I said goodbye to my daddy.  Landon looked at me with big eyes, "Can Pa stand up now? Can he walk?" I assured him that Pa was all better in heaven.  That was all he needed to hear and he was fine with that!  How we could all learn from the simple trust of the mind of a child!

3 comments:

Jenn@Sweet T Makes Three said...

I'm sure that's exactly what our loved ones in heaven would wish we felt about their passing. After all, they certainly wouldn't want to come back here even if they could!

Mrs.T said...

What a beautiful story, Arlene! Children sometimes grasp these truths so much easier than we do. What a blessing that Landon saw it this way!

Mrs R said...

Oh my gosh, Arlene, I am so late in reading this. My heartfelt condolences for you and your sweet family. May God grant you peace and beautiful memories of your daddy.