Followers

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

An Uninvited Visitor

When I was putting up my fall wreath the other day I came across this fellow in the corner of my porch! He is so pretty and he is not bothering me so I will let him stay where he is...he might just be here to be part of my halloween decor!!  I looked this fella up and found it is a black and yellow garden spider also known as the writing spider due to the zigzag in his web. Also I wonder if He might be a She as the female spiders are larger and more colorful according to my research.  I have seen these spiders called golden orb spiders but that is not correct...those spiders are more brown than yellow.  No matter what the name...it is a beautiful creature who eats pests so I am inviting him to stay a spell and visit with the Grimms.

3 comments:

307473e6-c887-11e1-8ab6-000f20980440 said...

We used to have these over at the Riverview house on the deck. I wish I had made pictures of some of the HUGE webs with "writing" I found.

Leigh said...

Arlene, We had lots of these in Louisiana. The one in your picture is a female. If you look closely, you will probably find a tiny little drab spider close to this one. I was surprised when I noticed the male spider.

Jenn@Sweet T Makes Three said...

Eek! I can't handle big spiders no matter how colorful. Kudos to you for letting her live. She looks big enough to shoot!