Followers

Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Confederate Rose

I have lived in the South all of my life( If you include three years in Louisville, KY) and I have never seen a Confederate Rose. I had heard of them but yesterday I saw a lovely bush FULL of those pretty pink and fuschia roses.  I was visiting my friend, Deborah, at her farm after dropping Landon off at preschool and I saw a bush with leaves similar to an oak leaf hydrangea but the branches were full of these pretty flowers. Deborah told me it was a confederate rose that she her mom had given her when they moved to the farm several years ago.  Deborah said that many people think they will not grow this far "north" but hers are thriving.  They bloom in September and October! A pretty surprise at the end of the summer.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Arlene, so lovely! I'd never heard of a confederate rose before. I wonder how it got its name?

Arlene Grimm said...

Gina, the flower is really a Hibiscus according to my research and it is the flower the women of Mobile Alabama presented to the Confederate veterans as they returned home so the story goes. Because the flowers can go from white to dark pink, some said the roses soaked up the blood of the confederate soldiers. I prefer the first story!!