Followers

Friday, January 17, 2014

Getting Ready

Marvin and I have been getting ready for his new knee. We attended joint camp at Decatur General on Wednesday and it was very helpful. A nurse from the orthopedic floor spoke with us about what to expect post surgery. She emphasized taking your pain meds liberally at the beginning so the pain does not become unmanageable. Poor Marvin has had so much intense knee pain over the last two weeks that he feels surgery could not be any worse. I hope he is right.  A physical therapist spoke at length about physical therapy options and handed out pages of exercises to do pre and post op.  We were delighted to meet up with an old friend at Joint Camp who is having bilateral knee replacements. She told us that she wanted to get it over with and to be able to play with her grandchildren.  I think Joint Camp was good preparation for surgery.  We met several people who will be on the same floor having various joints replaced so we will see some familiar faces while we are there.

Yesterday I went out shopping to get Marvin "hospital clothes". I think we are just about ready for Monday. I have a bag packed with cross stitch and books to take to the hospital so I can have something to do while sitting with my honey.

Prayers for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery will be much appreciated!

4 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

I will be praying for both of you. Please keep us posted.

Terri D. said...

Your Blackberry Lane friends is also a friend of mine. She directed me to your post, today, because I am facing knee surgery before the end of the year. I hope you won't mind me connecting so I can keep up with your husband's progress!!

http://tdorsaneo.blogspot.com/

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, I will be glad to keep you updated on our progress!!

Terri D. said...

Thanks, Arlene!!