Followers

Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Favorite Reads of 2013

I love to read and in 2013 I made a decision to watch less tv and read more. Thanks to my Good Reads account, it is easy to look back over the last year of reading and decide which ten books were my favorites. These are my picks...enjoyed every one of them but I realize all readers have different tastes. My oldest son sticks to non fiction, my daughter and I share a lot of the same interests in novels, younger son loves academic books and all things Tolkien.  My husband was not much of a reader as he reads all day at work but this year he has read a lot of writings by Catholic and Jewish scholars. Leave me a comment telling me of a book you have enjoyed..I am always looking for a new book to read!!

1. In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden.  I loved this book about an older lady who leaves behind the hustle and bustle of office life to become a nun.
2. Swan Place by Augusta Trobaugh   This is my favorite Trobaugh book. If you are looking for a writer who really takes you to the heart of the South, you will enjoy all Ms Trobaugh's books.
3. Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew   The first novel by a 70 something year old lady. Another Southern theme that rang true with me.
4.The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe. I read several books about end of life this year. This one was a touching story of a mother and son and their love of reading that helped them through some difficult times.
5.Still Alice by Lisa Genova. Ok, my friends MADE me read this book and I am glad I did. It is an honest look at a very sad subject, Alzheimers.  Ms Genova is an excellent writer and I have enjoyed all of her books.
6.The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Deffenbaugh.   The story of a young woman who has been in foster care all of her life and comes to find a love of flowers that will change her life.
7.The 13th Tale by Diane Setterfield  Any book lover will enjoy this tale of a young woman who was raised in a antique book store and her meeting with the mysterious Ms Winter who weaves tales.
8.Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson  A recent widower who withstands the onslaughts of all the single ladies in his village and falls in love with a very different type of lady.
9.The Little Way of Ruthie Lemming by Rod Dreher Another book about dying but dying with dignity and humor. It also reminds each of us that the little things we do for others make a difference.
10.To The Field of the Stars by Kevin Codd   My favorite book about the Camino de Santiago!

3 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

I see several on your list that I would like. Thanks!

Mrs R said...

Wow! Now where are the book reports? :-)

Mrs R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.