Followers

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Nothing Like a Dame!

Two of my favorite actresses have finally been made Dames of the British Empire for their contributions to the screen. Angela Lansbury and Penelope Keith were named to receive this honor in the Queen's New Years Honors.

Angela Lansbury, a native of England, started her acting career in the movie, Gaslight. She was just a teenager then and she was nominated for best supporting actress for that role. I love many of her movies but my favorite role for Ms Lansbury is Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote. To this day it is one of my favorite tv programs and I have many of the dvds to prove it. Angela Lansbury is such a gracious lady and deserves this wonderful honor at the age of 88!

Penelope Keith is one of my favorite Britcom actresses. I liked her as Margo Ledbetter in Good Neighbors and I really enjoyed her in To the Manor Born. In both shows, she plays a very bossy lady who knows best for everyone around her! Her crystal clear English accent is a delight and her comical timing is perfection.

Congrats Angela and Penelope!! Thanks for sharing your acting talent with all of us!

3 comments:

Mrs R said...

Congratulations to those ladies. I don't know much about the second lady but love Angela Lansbury!

Blackberry Lane said...

AL was a favorite of mine and mother's. We never missed Murder She Wrote!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I have 6 cats and they are all staying close in today's cold weather. I was trying to read a book with TWO in my lap!

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes..who could not love Angela Lansbury?? I read that she used a lot of older Hollywood Actors and Actresses on Murder She Wrote so they could keep up their union membership and get retirement benefits.