Followers

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

R is for Reading


While staying in with Marvin I have had a chance to read two good books in the last week. The first one was The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen. I have enjoyed all of Ms Klassens novels. She is a writer who researches her facts and writes realistically about the time period of the novel. The Girl in the Gatehouse takes place in the early 1800s, the Jane Austen era.  Mariah is a young woman who has been caught in a scandal and is banished from her family to stay in a gate house at her aunt's remote country home. Mariah's childhood governess accompanies her grown up charge as she goes to her exile. While Mariah's father gives her some money to live on, it is not enough so she decides to try her hand at writing. Back in those days, proper young ladies did not "write" and many of the books declared to be written by women were actually written by men.  Mariah's secret life leads to many complications but at the novel ends happily ever after!  I don't know about you but on these cold dreary winter days inside, I need a cheery read!

The other book is The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton, one of my favorite modern authors.  This fourth book does not disappoint!  The book opens with a 13 year old girl hiding away in a tree house when she sees a strange man approach her mother and baby brother. Laurel watches in horror as her mother stabs the man to death with a knife she held in her hand. A knife that was to be used to cut her baby brother's birthday cake. Laurel gives evidence to the police that her mother killed the man in self defence. However deep down, she wonders why the man knew her mother's name and why her mother killed the man.  Years pass, as her mother is dying, Laurel decides to get to the bottom of the mystery that has been at the back of her mind all these years. What follows is a riveting tale of WW2, love, loss and envy. Secrets are revealed and Laurel's mother is able to die in peace. I really had a hard time putting this one down!

I have also read a stinker that I did not finish. Local Souls by Allan Gurganus sounded like it would be a good read. And this is the man who wrote, Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All, a book that I enjoyed many years ago. However his new effort was just rather bizarre. After about 70 pages, I decided I could take no more and it will go back to the library unread.

Any suggestions for other good books to read? I am always looking for new titles!

2 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

These sound like good books that I would enjoy. Blog friend Patsy reviews good books here:
http://newereaderlistofbooks.blogspot.com/

Terri D. said...

Thanks for the book reviews! I went to Amazon and ordered The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton for my Kindle!!