Followers

Saturday, March 15, 2014

I'm Not Wild About Neutrals!!

This week I had a chance to sit down with some of my favorite decorating magazines. I love all the eye candy and I can usually find some decorating tip that I can use in my own home.  But there is a trend going on that perplexes me! The Neutral Look. It seems that everyone is on the neutral bandwagon. All whites, creams and tans. I guess I am just a Color Girl. I love color and texture all around me.  I think it comes from living in apartments and rental houses when we were a  young married couple but neutral just does not appeal me. I remember the first house we purchased...I could not wait to paint the walls the colors that I liked! I did not go wild but I did use color...a soft green for the living room. And today I have a sage green living room(Nantucket Gray by Benjamin Moore). I do gravitate to greens and blues with some Lenox Tan thrown in! My guest room and bath features warm cozy colors. I hope they make my guests feel happy when they visit Nanaland.

I think that one of the reasons that neutrals are so popular now is that people are looking for peace. But unfortunately, painting all your walls cream and white will not bring inner peace.  I think that here in America, busyness is epidemic. And does this frantic pace really accomplish much? Other than heart problems and hypertension that is!!  I think we could all stand to slow down and enjoy the journey. As to the inner peace...as a believer, I know that my security is in my Savior.

So what about you? Do you like this neutral trend that has taken the nation? Or are you like me, a fan of cozy colors?




7 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

I do enjoy color themes for each room in my home. In previous homes, we painted the walls colors that we loved. When we purchased this new home last April, it was hard to get used to off white walls but who wants to paint when the paint is new?? We'll live with it until it does need painting and add color in other ways.

Arlene Grimm said...

I have kept a few of my Builder Beige walls in the townhouse simply because the rooms tend to be dark with few exterior windows. And the townhouse is a shotgun style so that adds to the problem. And I have decided that any more painting that will be done will be done by a Painter. I am getting too old to climb up ladders!:)

Terri D. said...

My living room, dining room and hallway are painted a pale yellow, with a deeper warm yellow color on two contrasting walls. I like color, too, and am happy to use more color in the accessories. I agree that you can over-do the neutrals.

Gina said...

Hi Arlene, I'm typing with a sleeping puppy on my lap. :-)

My walls are all white with blueberry color window frames and baseboards. My stairs up to the second floor are every other white and blueberry. I do have lots of color touches throughout the house.

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, you and I must be soul sisters.:) Gina, your house is what I think of when I think of a New England house. I love Blue and White. I guess I am talking about the houses I have seen that are all white or tan and the furniture is white or cream as well. Nothing that tells you anything about the person who lives there! And I cannot wait to see a picture of your puppy!!

Thankyouabba said...

I can not stand neutrals! We have colors on every wall, except the ones that are unfinished in our dog room and garage. I prefer an off white, cream color on our trim, to white. To me white just screams dirty when it comes to baseboards and trim…and we have trim everywhere, as our home is 60+ years old. Not as much as a craftsman home, but still a lot of trim.
I really love robin's egg blue type colors and lime greens at the moment. I have two rooms, one on each floor of a color similar to robin's egg, and I like to accent with the bright green. It's not neon, but it looks so soothing to me when I pass the room that has that in it. That room also houses the computer and our 21 year old cat's belongings…so it makes the hidden litter box more bearable when it is so pleasing to my eyes to see the room now. It was just off white with nothing else….and it was so dingy and a drag for me.
To me colors offer excitement and a smile. I just don't get really excited about neutrals. It is like someone just sucked the life out of an item when it is in neutral.
We have a friend that only wears neutrals and you can see how she tries to be so controlling of her feelings and emotions and not let anything show….that shows with her color choices in the clothing. At home, there are lots of colors in her home. So she puts on a front for the world, of neutrality, with the real her hidden at home.
But to me peace is color…it is real. To me neutrals represent numbness…not peace….they are a lack of anything real and fun…they are controlled, safe, and restrictive. But colors are spontaneous, alive, moving, and open. You have to be open to life and to what God has in store.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks for stopping by Thankyouabba. I think another reason I am for color is that I was a nurse back when we all wore white!:) Sterility is good in a hospital but not in a home!!