Followers

Thursday, May 1, 2014

May Flowers

Yesterday was a cool, pretty day, perfect for working in the yard. I got outside to weed and trim the flower beds. Our neighborhood association pays for mowing but your flower beds are your own responsiblity.  After getting everything trimmed, I decided I would go to Lowe's for my flowers. I do not have a green thumb but there are a few flowering plants that I cannot kill. Impatiens are the star in my flower beds each year. Last year I went with solid pink so this year I wanted to change things up. How about a red, white and blue color theme for 2014? I found some pretty lobelia for the blue. Hoping I can keep it alive!!  I also picked up some hostas. They are a pretty hardy plant impervious to my gardening skills.

Glimpses of my hostas among the new plants.

I love hostas...they look so bright in the spring time!! I adhere to the decorating suggestion of grouping threes when I garden. And hostas are the gift that keeps on giving. They are easily divided in the fall , adding more plants to my beds!

This little hosta will grow to be a big one, separating our beds from my neighbors flower garden. As you can see we have big holly bushes at the edge of our garden. They are not my favorite but they will stay for now. I am hoping to pull them up one day and replace them with arborvitae. Holly bushes just seem to take over once one is planted!!

Happy May Day from Nanaland. I will keep you up to date on my flowers!! Hoping they grown strong and beautiful!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Love your flower bed! We often plant impatiens too. My husband planted a lot of perenial wildflower seeds last year so we will see what comes up!

Arlene Grimm said...

I wish I had more of a green thumb....both my grandmothers were great gardeners.

Terri D. said...

I love to see well-manicured lawns and flower beds, but I hate yard work and refuse to do it. Consequently, what doesn't die is all you will find in our yard. Sigh. Your beds look great!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks for the encouragement Terri...I always start out the summer with enthusiasm but it tends to wane as the temps rise!!! I would do well with all concrete!!