Followers

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Night Circus

Are you an adult who enjoys fairy tales? I admit that I am a member of  that club! I found The Night Circus to be an enchanting story and I hated to turn the final page as it ended. On googling more about this novel, I found it is in development for a movie. While I think it would make a good movie, I am enjoying the images in my mind and fear and movie could not do this book justice.

Imagine that you live in a city in the United States or Europe and one day a circus, made up of black and white striped tents appeared at the edge of the city. No advertising, no parade, it was just THERE. It 's gates are opened at dusk and they close at dawn.  And oh the wonderful things that are to be seen inside the tents. The Cirque de Revers  mesmerizes one and all. So much so that many people spend their time following the circus from town to town, continent to continent. These people wear red scarves so they can be identified as fans of this circus and the wondrous circus entertainers.

The real story of The Night Circus is a competition between two young illusionists, Marco and Celia. The circus is their invention and could be their downfall.  How can you compete to the death against someone you love?

Erin Morgenstern has written a book that engages all the reader's senses and transports one away from the troubles of the day. If you are looking for a good get away from it all book, The Night Circus is for you.

2 comments:

Terri D. said...

Thanks for the review! I agree that movies oftentimes ruin the image you have formed by reading the book first.

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes Terri, I am glad I read the book first!! I can remember being so worried that the Harry Potter movies would not live up to the books but for the most part I was pleasantly surprised....the first movie was just as I had pictured things in my mind!!