Followers

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Back to 1969

In 1969 I was in the eighth grade at Eton Elementary School. My husband was a senior in highschool in Savannah, Ga. We had no idea that our worlds would collide in 1974 and that in 2014 we would celebrate Marvin;s 45th high school reunion in June and our 38th wedding anniversary in September. 

I thought I would travel back to 1969 and refresh my memory on things that happened that year. I found several internet sites that took me back to the last year of the groovy 60s.  The Viet Nam War was still raging...no end in sight. The draft was reinstituted in 1969. Marvin was fortunate to get a student deferment which allowed him to go to Georgia Tech instead of Southeast Asia.  Woodstock was big that year as young people gathered at a farm in New York to spend a weekend listening to music and doing other things which I will not mention here! It was the year of Chappaquiddick and the Manson Murders. Judy Garland died of a drug overdose at the age of 47.  Apollo 11 landed on the moon that year...Neil Armstrong's quote, One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind, went down in the books. Hurricane Camille caused widespread damage in Mississippi. New York Mets win the World Series while the New York Jets win the Superbowl. Best Picture was Midnight Cowboy. Rowan and Martin Laugh In was the top tv show with Gunsmoke and Bonanza following close behind. Sugar Sugar by the Archies was the top Bill Board hit. 

As I think back over these events, it does not seem like it was that long ago. Time does march on and I am reminded that I need to treasure each day.

5 comments:

Terri D. said...

Oh my, those were the days!! I graduated from high school in 1970, so 1969 was the start of my senior year. I remember all those events and people you mentioned. Memories....

Billie Jo said...

And I was born that year!!!!! : )

Arlene Grimm said...

those were the days Terri!! And Billie Jo you were born in a very good year!!

Unknown said...

Wow, that was definitely a walk down memory lane!

Mrs R said...

Arlene, I remember the Archies! They had such upbeat songs. :-)

I don't remember too much about that year but I vaguely remember seeing Charles Manson and his minions in handcuffs on television.