Followers

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Fathers

It is going to be a rather sad Father's Day this year as it is the first Father's Day in my life without my Daddy. I take strength from the fact that I know I will see him again in heaven. This photo was made when I was in 8th grade, I remember that hair do from my school pctures. So Kristi was in 5th grade and Leta was in first grade.  I think we were dressed up to go to church one Sunday morning when Mother snapped this picture. My memories of my Daddy are too many to name but there was never a man who loved being outside more than he did. From his work in the mountains with the US Forest Service to working on his farm...he delighted in God's handiwork. When we were little, Daddy was outside a lot. He came in after work to eat dinner, then head to the barn to take care of the cows. He did enjoy watching westerns on television after his work day was over.  He loved his family, worked hard to take care of us and many young men today could learn from his example.

I am so thankful for all the fathers in my life. I was blessed to know my great grandfather, Papa Swanson. I was about 11 or 12 when he passed away. He was a quiet man and did not have a lot to say but I remember that he made the swing on our front porch and he loved to eat a sliced tomato with gravy and biscuits.(YUCK)

 My two grandfathers had a big impact on my life as well. My Granddad Henderson died when I was in high school. He was killed in an automobile accident at age 62. And I remember thinking he was OLD.:) Of all my family, I think he is the one who encouraged me to consider that there was a big world outside of our small town. He purchased an Atlanta or Chattanooga paper every Sunday and I loved reading those papers when we would visit on Sunday afternoons. When I was a little girl, I was a very picky eater but I loved bananas. When Granddad would go to the store he would get the banana Little Debbies just for me. And Hot Tamales...those were the candies he got all us grandkids. I can never see a box of Hot Tamales without thinking of him.

Grandaddy Tankersley lived near us and I was blessed to have him in my life until he was 90. Up until the week that he died, he was sharp as a tack and lived alone with some help from my parents. He was a mountain man. He had worked as a logger in the mountains of North Georgia when he was a young man. He enjoyed being outdoors...taking care of his bees, listening to his fox hounds run and fishing every now and then. He was a gentle man and much loved by all his grandchildren. I can only remember him shouting at us one time in my childhood and that was when a bunch of us cousins were standing on the roof of the pumphouse. It was built into a hill and you could walk from the hill to the top of the little pump house. Granddaddy was afraid one of us would fall and get hurt so who can blame him for yelling at us?  My son, Charles is named Charles Clifford and the Clifford is for Granddaddy. My grandson, Baylor has Granddaddy's other name as a first name, Henry.  

And I cannot leave out a man who was a bonus grandfather to me, my Great Uncle, Webb Henderson. We just called him Uncle. He and Auntie did not have any children so they doted on their nieces and nephews and I am so glad that they did!! Uncle led singing at Mount Carmel Baptist Church and whenever I hear the song, I Fly Away, I can see him standing at the front of the church singing that old song. My Auntie suffered from several health issues so Uncle did a lot of cooking and tending to the house. Now that was very unusual in the 60s.  He was a dear man and much loved.

Have a good Father's Day weekend blog friends...remembering those you have lost and loving those
you still have with you!

4 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

A very touching post. Like me, you were blessed to have many good family men to influence and encourage you. I thank the Lord for that.

Terri D. said...

Such a wonderful post, celebrating your dad and grandfathers, and your uncle. I'm sorry for your loss, and my wish for you is to feel your heart full of your dad's love and all the fun memories, as you celebrate Father's Day this year.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Ladies...special memories!!

Mrs R said...

{{HUGS}} I pray that your days are filled with such sweet memories of your dad. That picture of you all is darling. Your hair looks so fashionable!