Followers

Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Storied Life of A J Fikry

Whenever I take a road trip I make sure I have books to read to pass the time in the car! I am so glad I am one of the lucky ones who can read while riding!  One of my Facebook friends gave The Storied Life of A J Fikry a rave review so I decided to purchase it for my trip to Georgia. It was a good thing that I had back up books because I read this one in no time flat.

We are not quite novels. We are not quite short stories. In the end, we are collected works.  So begins this novel by Gabrielle Zevin. For anyone who is a lover of books and book stores, The Storied Life of A J Fikry is a must read.  A J is in the midst of getting his PhD when his wife talks him into moving to the small island where she grew up. Accessible only by ferry from Hyannis, Alice Island does not have a book store. And every town no matter how small or how isolated should have a book store.  A J gives in to his wife's urging and they purchase an old building and turn it into Island Books. Years pass, A J takes care of the business side of things while his wife, Nic, uses her talents to create events and book signings.  But as we all know, life can change in a minute. The minute that changes A J's life is when Nic's car plunges into a cold river and she is killed. A J is not equipped for life without Nic and the book store begins a downward spiral. But life changes again when Knightley Press sends sales agent, Amelia Loman to present the Winter List to Island Books.  Just as A J is beginning to consider that life is worth living, he finds something very surprising in the children's section of his bookstore. And that surprise changes the course of his life and the lives of those around him.

Part mystery, part love story and part book reviews, this novel is one that will worm its way into your heart. I am sure Hollywood will turn this book into a movie. As for me, I plan to look for more of Ms Zevin's books at the library!!

3 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

I would like this one!

Terri D. said...

Making note. Thanks!!

Arlene Grimm said...

I looked for some of her other books at the library and could not find one....I really enjoyed her writing style.