Followers

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Ultimate Southern Mac and Cheese

I was browsing through the magazine section at Walmart and came across the magazine, Southern Classics. Several of the recipes looked promising so I purchased the magazine and brought it home. On Friday night I tried this Macaroni recipe and along with a salad and corn on the cob it made a complete meal. Since I just cook for Marvin and myself, I divided the recipe into two 8" dishes and froze one so we could enjoy it another day.

Here is the recipe....

Ultimate Southern Mac and Cheese
1/2 c unsalted butter
1/2 c all purpose flour
2/3 c chopped yellow onion
4 c whole milk
4 1/2 c shredded sharp white cheddar cheese--divided
2 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese--divided
1 pound thick cut bacon--cooked and crumbled
3 T whole grain mustard
1 1/2 t Kosher salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t red pepper
1 pound penne --cooked according to directions

Preheat oven to 350.

In large dutch oven, heat butter over med high heat. Add flour stirring to combine..cook until mixture is light brown(10 to 15 min).Add onion and continue cooking until onion is tender.Add milk, stirring frequently until mixture begins to thicken...about 8 min.

Add four cups of cheddar, 1 3/4 c mozzarella, bacon, mustard, ,salt and peppers, stir until cheese melts. Add penne, stir until combined. Pour into greased 13 by 9 casserole. Top with remaining cheddar and mozzarella. Bake at 350 for 20 min. Serve hot!

I always try to make a recipe strictly by the book the first time, then tweak if necessary. Well I did not have enough white cheddar so I added regular cheddar! I did not have penne pasta so I used dittalini and I liked the smaller pasta for ease of eating. I think you can cut back a bit on the cheese as well without the taste being affected and you could also leave out the bacon and have a stellar mac and cheese. Ours was good with a salad and corn...very filling and yummy.

5 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

We love mac and cheese. Thanks for the recipe. It is so nice to have one tucked away in the freezer! Have a nice day.

Arlene Grimm said...

I am taking the other casserole to my son's house on Saturday along with some other goodies. I do feel virtuous having an extra casserole on hand.

Terri D. said...

I love, love, love mac & cheese. Joe hates it. I order it in restaurants and am always disappointed. Grew up on the stuff. I want to make this - just for me!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Teri, this one is a good one even if it is a heart attack on a plate.lol

Mrs R said...

Oh dear, I've never heard of whole grain mustard. I'm guessing it isn't out of a French's bottle... Your Mac n Cheese looks so tempting!